1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp is acting funny ><

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Durothil, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Durothil

Durothil Thread Starter

I recently have been encountering problems with my pc. After boot up I get a Checksum error- Defaults loaded message. I press F1 to continue and then Windows XP Pro loads up fine. After about 3 hours, my comouter will just shut down on me and then not be operable for about 5 hours. At that time, when I start it up, I get a CPU is unworkable or has been changed - check SoftMenu. I press F1 to continue and it loads up XP Pro no problem, I can get online easily and even jump on the most graphic intensive games that I own. But still after about 3 hours the comp just shuts down, no logging off from Windows just like a power failure. I replaced the PSU already and this is not the problem. Has anyone had any similar problems and happen to have found the solution? Please help me.

Comp is as follows:
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ CPU
    Abit Kv7 Mobo
    Geforce 6200 Video Card
    1 GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
    160GB SATA HDD
    Windows XP Pro

Thanks again everyone and it's great to be back! *^^*

2. 1ets

1ets

You problem sounds like it could be a heat problem. I suggest you download PC Wizard (free) and check the processor temperature. Anything 125 or over could be disastrous for your processor.

If the temperature is high you should go to a computer shop and have another fan installed.

Hope this works for you Good luck.

3. onsite

onsite

ALSO SPEED FAN
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    I found that my HP MEDIA center fans were only working about 1/3 their capacity
    also to a test of your ram, if you do not have a floppy, they have an iso you can burn to a cd
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    also if your vid card has a fan, check it makesure it has not impacted crud into the cooling fins and that the fan turns with very little restriction.

4. Michael_C

Michael_C

I had a a very similar problem with an ATI card. the computer was acting like it was overheating and shutting down. The drivers were the cause, and as far as i know, ATI does not have a fix for it. I ended up buying a new card, and went with an Nvidia.

As for the checksum erros. You might want to replace your CMOS battery :)

5. Durothil

Durothil Thread Starter

CPU is at 37.5 C and remaining there. Fans all in order and Vid Card fan is making some noise, but moving and keeping card cool. The noise it makes is kinda the one where the fan is moving up and down as well as spinning, like its not centered and moves on the post its on.
    Could that lead to problems?

6. paul_doo

paul_doo

Sounds to me video card do you have another to try..I'd also say dust but i know better

7. onsite

onsite

go into the program and change it to Fharenheit

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    37.5°C (99.5°F) isn't too bad for a PC. Even still, open your case up and let it run open. Use it as you do, to test for an overheating problem.

A vibrating fan is not a good sign, though. I can't really think of what to recommend for that (ie whether it's fixable or not).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice