1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp is running like a one legged man!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ramgon1280, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramgon1280

Ramgon1280 Thread Starter

My girlfriends comp (Compaq running Windows ME) is barely running and on life support. Not too long ago she ran a system restore to try and fix some big problem and ever since then it takes FOREVER to open anything up! A message box appears every now and then that says that the system resources are dangerously low but I dont know how to get into any of the files that are using so much space since it runs so slow. I tried to run scandisk after closing all programs and just as it got to the end, it started over. She cant connect to the internet (cable modem) so I cant download ad aware and run it. And for some reason, there is a new drive named D:\SYSTEM_SAV that seems to have some files relating to the comp system. Im not sure what I can post here to give you a look at her comp like a log or something but Im at a loss of what to do next. What say you geniuses?

2. putasolution

putasolution

D:\SYSTEM_SAV is meant to be a hidden partition that contains the restoration files for the compaq

Download the following programmes:

1.Hijack this
    2.Spybot &
    3.Adaware

Update programs 2 & 3, then run the programmes, have them fix anything they find.

When you have run and fixed everything with Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, please reboot before scanning, as not everything can be removed when Windows is running

When you have done all that, launch Hijack This, then press Scan, and press Save Log

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.

open that file
    Go to Edit | Select all
    Now click Edit | copy to copy it

Do not change anything just yet
    Come back to the forum, Right Click and paste its contents here

Someone will come along and have a look at it, and advise you what still needs to be removed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice