1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp just restored, network will not assign network address to comp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kate5517, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kate5517

Kate5517 Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently had a virus on my computer. Had to take it to the geek squad to get it fixed. Brought it home the other day and it would not connect to my wireless network (I am on the other laptop in my house that does still connect). It would connect before I got it "fixed". I brought it back to the store the next day and they tried a few things. I will connect to their wireless in the store.

I originally had Geek Squad come out earlier this year to set up my wireless router and the guy who helped me at the store said it might be because of a certain way he set my computer up to connect to the router which got erased when my computer had to be restored.

Now they want to charge me an extra $89 for them to come back out to the house and fix it.

Is there anything I can do to try to fix this myself without forking over even more money?

2. njelimetz

njelimetz

uh, maybe you would want to check what is the setting looks like now and post it here? maybe someone can help you out. also if possible, mention what brand?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit

Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a

computer with internet access.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In the absence of any specification of the version and patch level of Windows, I'll assume XP-SP2

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice