1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp keeps rebooting right after the "WinXP" screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Disforg, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disforg

Disforg Thread Starter

Hi guys. Hopefully someone out there has a clue about whats going on because this is driving me nuts!

Out of the blue, my comp took a poop. POSTS fine, and gets to the "WINDOWS XP" screen (where the blue scrolling bar is as its loading Windows). After that screen goes down, and you would expect to see your desktop, the comp just reboots and repeats the process.

I've tried booting in safemode and it "almost" gets there, then blue-screens with a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error message.

Attempts to boot "using the last known good configuration" resulted in the same rebooting process.

Using the recovery console, I've tried to run chkdsk \p and gets to about 46% where I get a "volume has one or more unrecoverable sectors" or something like that.

I've done several searches and the PAGE_FAULT... error has lead other people to believe its a memory problem but I'm not sure. I switched the banks that the ram modules were sitting in (just swapped spot for spot) and the computer was able to boot using the "last known good configuration" BUT, after about 5 mins, the comp would proceed to reboot and repeat and boot and repeat etc...

This is completely mind boggling to me and if anyone out there can help, it will be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks guys!

2. steven1350

steven1350

Try winlogon.exe

Copy the file from a working copy of windows(make sure they are both the same version (sp2), and replace your file with the new one

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice