1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp Says I'm OverClocking - I don't think I Am.. :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JDcompy, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Hi all,

I haven't had problems with my desktop computer in quite a while, but today while watching a video the computer shut down randomly.

I turned the computer on and noticed that after a few moments it shut down again. I thought maybe the computer was overheating so I let it sit for about 30 minutes.

I turned it on again, and received a message while booting up:

Overclocking failed - press f1 to continue / press f2 to reset default settings and continue.

As I'm not a computer tech person and have no idea what overclocking is, I'm sure I've never gone out of my way to overclock a computer.

The computer booted into windows, and then.. a minute later, shut down.

What is overclocking? How do I fix this issue? I miss my computer already.

Thank you so much!

2. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Some System Specs

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 9/2/2011, 09:39:14
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/05 16:03:33 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 99MB used, 2361MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
    PSU: TR2-430Np

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

OK well one small thing to try is to unplug the computer, Press the power button to make sure there is no remaining current. Then open the side of the computer and remove the little battery that is on the motherboard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fDSQap2Qo leave it out of the motherboard for about 5 minutes and then replace it (make sure it is the correct way in) and then try the computer again and see if you get the same problem. This will reset everything to work at factory settings. If you still have the problem there is a fair chance the CPU is overheating, Check for dust build up on the cooler while you are inside the case :)

Jack-O-Bytes

4. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

I havent taken the battery out yet, a bit nervous to do that, but will try it anyway..

Today I got an error that read:

"cpu over temperature error"

:/

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It is most likely due to the heatsink being full of dust or the thermal paste being dried out and not making good thermal contact between the cooler and the CPU.

Jack-O-Bytes

6. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

I just downloaded and used Speed Fan to see temperatures and fan speeds etc...
    I don't really know what the numbers mean- maybe it makes sense to one of you smart computer people? :]

[​IMG]

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

8. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Uploaded in post above (sorry had to edit it as it didn't post correctly the first time)

Not sure what that all means but... mmm? Those flames can't be good...

9. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

You aprear to have a massive air flow problem in your case as almost all of the parts are overheating. The GPU is at 88c which is way to high, the CPU is at 79c which is too high and the HD is at 54c which is also way to high. In contract my GPU is around 36c CPU around 45c and HD around 30c almost all the time. What make and model is this PC??

10. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Jack, I don't believe there is a make/model as it was custom built a few years ago.

11. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Ahh well, Do you think you could open it up and take a couple of photos of say the front panel from the inside, the rear panel from the inside and then the whole of the side with the case side panel off? That would help a lot as I will be able to see available spaces for fans and what cooling layout you currently have.

Jack-O-Bytes

12. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

I used an air can to get the dust out, noticing it was caked on the fan a bit, and then took a new photo. Unfortunately it is still shutting down on its own.

In addition, here are the requested photos (thanks Jack!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

For some reason the new fan photo isnt posting, but I still have the flame icon next to GPU (97c), CPU (63C), HD2 (54C), and CPU (63C) - dunno why it lists cpu twice..
    [​IMG]

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

It appears you have a passively cooled video card and...how can I put this diplomatically...sub-optimal case cooling.

A little cable management wouldn't hurt either.

15. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah there doesn't really apear to be anywhere to put a good cooling fan in there either. You could probably do with getting a better case and fitting all your parts into the new one. Something like this would be a very good case to cool your setup http://www.ebuyer.com/172779-casecom-6788-all-black-case-km-6788-black

then get 2 of these fans for the side intake of the case
    http://www.ebuyer.com/138586-xilence-red-wing-120mm-quiet-fan-3-4pin-connection-xilence120

and then you will have a very very cool running setup :)

Jack-O-Bytes

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice