1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

comp tech nightmare (looking for advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PMC, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PMC

PMC Thread Starter

K here is my prob just had a computer melt down (bought new just under 2yrs old) took it in to local computer shop and they said mother board, proc, ram were all bad (due to power surge of some kind). so i bought all new parts and droped them off. Next day they told me my hard drive was bad aswell and they tested the power supply and tested fine but thought that could have spiked and caused all the prob so advised me to replace aswell. So then bought new hard drive and power supp and gave to them. Next they call me up and say they grounded the power supply when putting it in and it burned out the new hard drive but will replace it for free and tested everything else (including the new power supp and said it tested fine). Now my question is them doing this... could it cause me a prob down the road even though all the new parts tested fine now? I'm not a comp tech type guy and just worried bout my investment (parts alone have run me 1500$ and hate to lose it) Looking for any advice I can get. Thanks

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Not sure exactly how they could have done that......you simply bolt the powersupply in and connect the leads....unless they connected the drive with the computer powered up?

In my opinion you would have been better off buying a completely new system (with warranty) for the money you have spent on parts.

3. PMC

PMC Thread Starter

Was going to buy a new pc but fist evaluation (Motherboad,pross.and ram) it was more cost effective to buy parts (upgraded what i had) after 2nd evalution (hd and power supp ya would have been better to buy PC but its to late now) they said something bout one of the leads on the power supp bumped a case bolt that was sticking out. But back to my main question Could they have caused dam to parts in the system that they could not detect when run test but cause problems down the road?

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Some of these pc shops are useless. I had all sorts of probs when I used one. They even put 2 hd's one on top of the other with no air between.

It's impossible to tell if you'll have no further probs, but you can run diognostic tests. These online tests are very good. PC Pitstop is one.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I believe you were had! I've never seen a computer lose everything like that at one time, and I really doubt all those parts were bad. I'd certainly steer clear of that shop in the future!

6. n2gun

n2gun

Another thing I would do is ask for all the parts that were replaced. Then you may be able to check some of them yourself. I agree it is hard to believe everything burnt out.

7. kknla

kknla

W/O any knowledge of what was in there to begin with, there is no telling how many broke parts he can come up with to give you back. If it was something like an HP or a Dell, look your model and serial up on their site to find out what brand and original parts it came with. If it was a custom pc, there really is no way of telling.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

I agree with johnwill.

I think you were had.

The leads from a powersupply have plastic connectors over the wires....no possible way for it to have happened that way.

see picture here scroll to the bottom of the page to picture of power cable.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you wouldn't mind could you please post how much you paid them or how much time it took them to do it. Entire systems going like that are rare. It happens occasionally where i work - rural area, terrible hydro. The few times it happened we had several systems with blown out powersupplies and 2 completely dead systems. This happened at the same time - when power was restored after a power outage all the systems smoked from the backed and several chips had visible damage - one harddrive had smoke pouring off it when we plugged it in to test.
    Also, did you get all your old parts back? Everything we replace in our shop you get back, good or bad. Compare it with you had. Also see if what you provided them is actually in your new system. Not sure how the "grounding" of the powersupply happened, incompetence?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice