Comp thinks 2GHz processor is 500MHz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

akad

I have recently built a computer, and bought all the parts from Newegg. So I built it, installed the drivers for the video card and motherboard and all that stuff. But I went to launch Halo and it told me my comp couldn't run Halo because it said my processor was 500MHz. I then went to the system prefs, which also told me that it didn't know what kind of processor I was using and that it was only 500MHz. I am running an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile with an ABIT NFS-7 Mobo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you set the CPU clock speed when you put it all together?

Most manufacturers send their motherboards out set to 100.

I believe the XP-mobile CPUs normally run at 266FSB, so you need to set the CPU speed to 133 in the BIOS.

crjdriver

The 2500+ has a multiplier of 11 and a fsb of 166 [333 double pumped] this yields a clock speed of 1.83. This is the correct value for a 2500+.

Some boards have a jumper installed to default the board to a fsb of 100; this is so you can boot a duron chip. Check your manual to see if you need to remove any jumpers. Your cpu speed should be set to AUTO and the board will detect your cpu and set the multiplier and fsb for you.

akad

Ok, thanks, it worked.
For overclocking, would I just be able to set it to 11.5 x 200 or would i have to mess around with the voltage too?

Triple6

Rob
The mobile AMD 2500+ only has a FSB of 133 doubled to 266Mhz, not 333Mhz. It also uses a higher multiplier to get up to 1.87Ghz, 14 I think.

There is an update for XP that deals with AMD CPU's, not sure what it fully does.

crjdriver

akad said:
Ok, thanks, it worked.
For overclocking, would I just be able to set it to 11.5 x 200 or would i have to mess around with the voltage too?
Sometimes overclocking works and sometimes it does not. Your ram must be of good quality and be PC3200 if you want to run the fsb @200. The other option is to lower speed of the ram if it is not PC3200.

Do remember that overclocking can [and sometimes does] damage hardware. If you are going to do this, make small changes one at a time. Always test for stability with something like prime95. If you make two changes [and have a problem] you do not know which one caused it.

crjdriver

Triple6 said:
The mobile AMD 2500+ only has a FSB of 133 doubled to 266Mhz, not 333Mhz. It also uses a higher multiplier to get up to 1.87Ghz, 14 I think.

There is an update for XP that deals with AMD CPU's, not sure what it fully does.
You are right, I did not see the MOBILE. The regular 2500+ has the 333 fsb.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online