1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp won't boot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Codyy, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Codyy

Codyy Thread Starter

My older secondary computer will not boot!

It had always been finicky. I never used the frontal switch, it did not work. I would have to rapidly click the main power switch until the LED at the front got brighter, eventually starting. If I shut down, I could not restart again right away. It has a sort of latency period. Yesterday it got it's plug pulled out while it was running. It will now no longer boot. No fans, drives, or lights. I do what I normaly do to start, flicking the main power rapidly, but the LED never comes on, not even dull like it used to when first plugged in.

Does this sound like the PSU? Any tests or other things I should try before getting a new PSU?

2. brite750

brite750

well lets put it this way with a pc that old, it could be anything, but the psu would have to be the prime suspect, plus you cant really do anything until its running

3. brite750

brite750

you could try unplugging your drives, hdd, cdrom etc., pull any pci cards except gfx, reset bios and try turning on

4. Codyy

Codyy Thread Starter

So that would basicaly narrow it down to PSU. Worth it to put a new PSU in this old computer?

5. brite750

brite750

good question, a psu is about $40 give or take, it may or may not solve your issue, can you borrow one from your other pc to test?

6. brite750

brite750

the other thing to do is buy one, if it doesnt work bring it back

7. Codyy

Codyy Thread Starter

Is it easy to disconnect the PSU, and does the one from my good comp just have to have same or better volts/watts, etc?

Btw, thanks for all you help.

8. brite750

brite750

it is very likely the same type of psu 20pin atx, psu just unplug from drives, mb, etc., 4 screws in the back and it comes out, i'll see if i can find a pic of the 20pin atx to compare, watts dont have to be the same, newer copm is probably higher watts anyway. if you can post the info off the labels, make/model of psu

9. brite750

brite750

10. brite750

brite750

11. Codyy

Codyy Thread Starter

I'll get my PSU specs and post 'em. Thanks for the links.

12. Codyy

Codyy Thread Starter

I extracted the PSU. Here's the specs...

ATNG POWER CO. LTD
    MODEL: AT-250S
    250W

Now that the PSU is out of the computer, is there a way to test it to see if it is still live? Could a computer place test it for cheap...? My other computer is ATX, so I don't think I'd be able to put the ATX unit in this old AT system.

13. brite750

brite750

yes thats correct, 2 totally different animals, I would think a pc shop will test it for you for free especially since they may get to sell you a new one

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice