1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

comp won't turn on after changing case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KB4MVP, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KB4MVP

KB4MVP Thread Starter

hi, i just recently change my computer case, and i plug in everything right, but now, it won't turn on. I plug the jumper and everything right, and it still won't turn on. any help would be grateful. thanks

2. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

double check all conections. make shure everything is tight. is the power supply hooked up to the motherboard? is it pluged in to the outlet? some of the most obviouse things can leave a person in the gutter for a long time. i have spent houres before to only find out that the pc is unpluged. LOL

3. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

if the pc worked before there is no reason it should work now. chek all conections

4. bigtuna420

bigtuna420

make sure the motherboard is not shorting out on the stands in the case. try removing the board from the case and see if it will boot up then.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

I had a call for repair last year from a guy who said he spent 2 days trying to start his PC. When I got there the switch on the back of the power supply had been depressed to the 0 setting rather than the 1 setting when he moved it. True story. I didn't charge him cuz he felt like a complete fool but these things happen. Also, the suggestions of a short are worth a look.

First though, when you plug it in do you hear any activity. When you push the power button do you hear any activity. Do you see the indicator lights flash, blink, anything? It's important for us to know the extent of the problem.

6. Conrad747

Conrad747

Is this a new case? Try what griffin suggested. If still the same I suspect the new case power switch is defective. How to check it? Follow the wires that came out of your switch and on your motherboard remove these wires and stick a screw driver to where these wires were, shorting the poles, and see what happens. good luck.

7. KB4MVP

KB4MVP Thread Starter

when i first plug it in, the fans start to move for like a second and it turn off.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

A little more info please. In fact as much as you can give us. Did you just swap the old case for the new case? Did you pull any parts and replace them other than the case such as power supply, RAM, drives, etc., you said you plugged the jumper but I'm not sure what that means. Can you explain?

One thing you can check right away is the seating of the RAM. Sometimes it can come loose during major movement and then it can cause your symptom.

9. wolfworx

wolfworx

Are you using the old power supply or one that came with the new case? I recently spent much time trying to get a new system assembled and working before I isolated the problem as a bad power supply. I noted that the pilot LED on the mobo lit, but the processor fan was not running -- it gets 12VDC from the mobo. I replaced the power supply with a new 450 watter and everything worked! The case manufacturer gave me a $15 credit for the faulty power supply... :( oh well, better than nothing.

10. RealSHARPY

RealSHARPY

does the power switch have more then one connectors that have to hook up to the motherboard sometimes if they arent in the right spots it may not allow your pc to start. Check ur case manual it may say something about this.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!