1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp Wont Turn On - No Symptoms!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ninjapheret, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ninjapheret

ninjapheret Thread Starter

I'm running a Prescott P4 3.2 gHz, 1.5 gigs of ram, nVidia 5500 card, on an ASRock Motherboard model p4v88, running WinXp sp2 and every single update...

Last night I shut down the system before I left with no problems. I haven't had *any* problems with it, really, as long as I've owned it. I take great care of it and it's been devoid of viruses or disk error or anything since I've had it (only 5 months). Also no BIOS updates in a long time, and no windows updates in a few weeks.

This morning I pushed power and the fans whirred up for maybe a half a second before the system turned off. I pushed power again and the same thing happened. I unplugged everything from the back but the power, same. I opened it up (unplugged) and pulled out the ram - same. Uplugged the harddrives - same. Cdroms/pci cards/video card/ etc., until the only thing that was plugged in was the motherboard. I'm still having the same problem. The little green LED on the front of the case remains lit even tho the sys isn't on. I think the PSU is okay... what the hell could the problem be? The computer was plugged into a surge protector so I don't think it got a shock. I haven't like spilled water on it or anthing.. ahh...

2. agentads

agentads

My guess would be the PSU, it would probably at least turn on if it was anything else.

3. ninjapheret

Why would that go out tho?

4. agentads

agentads

I've never experienced this first hand but I'd assume after a while a PSU would just stop working, especially if it isn't the greatest PSU, a no name brand one that might have came with your case. If you post your PSU model/make/type etc. I can find reviews on it and see if people have had good or bad experiences with it.

5. ninjapheret

It's an OKIA 450atx. The reason I doubt its the PSU is as follows.

The fuse is not blown. If the fuse were blown, there would be no power going to my system whatsoever, therefore the green LED on the front would not go on and the fans would not kick for a second.

There is no short. A short would cause a surge of electricity, no matter how small, that would hit the fuse causing it to burn out. If the fuse was burnt out I would be receiving *no* electricity as I stated above.

Therefore the only reason the PSU would be out of order but still sending minimal power (extra power would result in the fuse being fried) is if a resistor ceased to function properly; it is incredibly unlikely for a resistor to lose its ability to lower voltage - it is much much more likely for it to burn out altogether... which would result in *no* electricity again. OR if some other part of the PSU circuit board has a flaw in it. If it had a flaw in the board there's no reason for the thing to only show symptoms the morning after the computer worked fine, considering there was noone who could have bumped the system during the night, etc.

All that being said, aren't the odds of it being the motherboard so much greater? HOWEVER why the hell would it work the night before? The only explanation is if there was a problem with BIOS and something got mis-written during boot causing it to have the same error everytime. Clearing the CMOS with the jumper should correct this. So I guess I'm contradicting myself because I can't find any reason for the sudden misuse of the motherboard. Why the hell did I even turn it off that night?!! lol...

6. RedHelix

RedHelix

There's a quick way to test if your PSU is dead if you're both brave and very careful.

First: UNPLUG YOUR PSU OR YOU'LL PROBABLY DIE
    -Take a paperclip and straighten it out.
    -Unplug the 20-pin connector of your PSU from the motherboard.
    -Look for a green wire coming out of your PSU box.
    -Plug one end of the paperclip into the connector pin that that green wire is going into. (+5v Fan)
    -Plug the other end into any pin that has a black wire going into it. (Gnd)
    -Now let go of the connector and plug your PSU back in.
    -If the fan is spinning, your power supply is probably okay.

7. ninjapheret

A much safer and simpler way would be to use a voltage meter. But I'm at college dorms now and not at home... so I don't have one with me. I guess I might try this later though - thanks.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

That particular PSU is very inexpensive. I found it online for less than $25. Inexpensive power supplies have a nasty habit of not having a long life.

I've had better success with ANTEC power supply's than any other brand but a comparable ANTEC would be about $70.

9. agentads

agentads

Yep, I've been running an Antec 350W for two years with no problems at all.

10. ninjapheret

My understanding of circuit boards and power supplies is that if it's out, the circuit isn't closed. Meaning power can't get out. Meaning no power whatsoever goes to the motherboard and therefore wouldn't turn the fans on.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Unless you have a power supply tester the best thing to do is simply use a multimeter and start checking voltages at all the connections especially the 4 pin +12V connector.

If all the connectors check good try jumping the front panel power on/power off pins on the motherboard header.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice