1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp wont turn on!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rocket30129, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocket30129

rocket30129 Thread Starter

We have a comp plugged into a surge protector, and when you flip the switch, it won't turn on unless you flip it on-off for about a minute (literally) We tried plugging it into the wall, and a different surge protector, and same problem. Is the relay switch inside the comp going bad?? If so, how do we fix it?

2. rocket30129

HELP ME PLZ

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you have it plugged into the wall and trying to start the computer with the button on the front....you have to do this many times as well?

4. rocket30129

Yup, no matter where its plugged in, you have to flip it on and off until it FINALLY turns on... We've been leaving it on now so that we can make sure we don't lose everything, but thats probably not the best idea with a 5 yr old computer either... Any ideas?

5. The Great One

The Great One

It Appears Thats The Power Switch (Connecting Your Motherboard To Your Case) is dmaged in some way or another.

I have a couple of suggestions.

1). Why not leave the switch on and turn the PC Off by the mains.

2). If this is not possible due to you having one of them switches that only toggles when there is power connecting, then I would suggest for a temporary measure only get a spare jumper and jumper the switch on your motherboard (this way the PC thinks that your have a pressed the switch when infact you haven't). Then you can do number 1).

3). Purchase a new switch and fit it now!!!

* Please only perform this if you are certain you know what you are doing.

Hope This Helps

PS Let Me Know How You Get On!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice