1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Comp won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cloud Strife, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife Thread Starter

First things first, i'd like to say hi! First time posting here.
    Now on to my problem. a guy at work asked me to take a look at his comp for him. I got it home and it won't power up. I unplugged everything but the mobo and tried to turn it on. No dice. The light on the mobo is on, which i assume would mean it is getting power. I switched out the power supply. Still nothing. Am i correct in assuming that eather the MOBO or the CPU has gone bad?

PS. if this is in the wrong forums please move. i wasn't sure which forum to post it in.

2. Tadp01e

Tadp01e

does the fan for the cpu move even for a second? or what about any of the extra fans or the power supply fan?

3. Cloud Strife

no nothing

4. Tadp01e

Tadp01e

hmmm... well it CLEARLY isnt the PSU (power supply unit) i can tell its not the cpu. was he working on it and it shut off? and did he smell anything burning? after or before it happened?

5. Cloud Strife

all he said was that he shuts it on and off via power supply, and one day he went to turn it on, and it wouldn't come on

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing to do is to test the power supply.

7. Tadp01e

Tadp01e

Ok so he shuts it off from the back switch... i hope he closes it down properly first. Well im sorry but im in the same jam... i havnt figured it out yet and i have very limited resourses so im sorry but we shall have to wait for someone more experienced to help.;)

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Cloud Strife, you didn't state the brand of machine. Does it happen to be an eMachine?

9. Cloud Strife

i'm sorry, my fault. it's a dell demension 3000 series. with i believe a 3.2 gig processor and 512 meggs of SD ram

10. Cloud Strife

oops double post

11. AceS

AceS

for some reason or another, the motherboard may be shorting out on the case.. Try removing the motherboard from the case (carefully), plug everything into it, and test it.. does it work? if so, put the motherboard back into the case, and make certain that no parts from the motherboard touch the case..

if they do, and its inavoidable, use some electrical tape, and attach it to the case, so that the motherboard touches the tape instead....

12. Cloud Strife

once again, still nothing, is there anything else that can be done?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!