Compac Computer Phone Modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

krob

I have a compac computer and am trying to install a PCTEL phone modem. After I plug the modem into the slot and power up, it gets to the point where Windows 98 begins to open, a message opens saying that new hardware has been detected but then an error occurs saying that an illegal operation has occurred and will be shut down. The error is a page fault error. Talking to one of my friends, he said that only Compac modems will work in a Compac computer due to memory allocations. Does anyone know if this is true? The modem that I bought is a 56K low cost modem.

dud

I agree.. it ain't true! I know so...I've seen first hand of two different non-compaq modems working in compaq machines.

Cheers!

krob

Does anyone know what I should do get get rid of the page fault that I get every time I power the computer up? I have tried changing the IRQ's so the modem has it's own but that hasn't worked. I tried a different modem from a different manufacturer but got the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online