1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compac Computer Phone Modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krob, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krob

krob Thread Starter

I have a compac computer and am trying to install a PCTEL phone modem. After I plug the modem into the slot and power up, it gets to the point where Windows 98 begins to open, a message opens saying that new hardware has been detected but then an error occurs saying that an illegal operation has occurred and will be shut down. The error is a page fault error. Talking to one of my friends, he said that only Compac modems will work in a Compac computer due to memory allocations. Does anyone know if this is true? The modem that I bought is a 56K low cost modem.

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

I don't think it is true.

3. dud

dud Guest

I agree.. it ain't true! I know so...I've seen first hand of two different non-compaq modems working in compaq machines.

Cheers!

4. krob

krob Thread Starter

Does anyone know what I should do get get rid of the page fault that I get every time I power the computer up? I have tried changing the IRQ's so the modem has it's own but that hasn't worked. I tried a different modem from a different manufacturer but got the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice