Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compact Flash as Main Hard Drive (Pros and Cons)

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
All,

I have read that you can get an adapter to connect a Compact Flast card to your IDE interface and use it as a hard drive (say your C: drive).

Now its mu understanding that CF is much faster than a regular hard drive, not to mention the size and noise advantages.

Cost aside, what are the pros and cons in using a CF as the promary hard drive?

Thanks
Steve

#3 ·
The write speed of FLASH memory is very slow when compared to hard disks, you would not like the performance of a system based on a FLASH drive. :)

#6 ·
greenbug said:
Off the subject but, what's the difference between a 1.1 and a 2.0 flash drive and will they both work in the same computers?

Thanks Bug
The speed. USB 2 is much faster than 1.1

Yes they will both work, but a USB 2 drive will not work at USB 2 speeds unless the PC also has USB 2 ports. It will default to USB 1.1 speed.

#9 ·
SteveInNC said:
Interesting...I though CF was as fast as RAM, being a solid state drive and all.
FLASH memory is speedy when you read it, but pretty slow when you write it. I develop avionics for a living, and we use lots of FLASH memory for program and data storage, I'm pretty familiar with the limitations of FLASH memory. :) Think about the speed of the programming of your BIOS when you do an update, if that were a hard disk, it would just happen in the blink of an eye, not over the span of 10-15 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.