1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compact Laptop Hard Drive Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KamikazeKM, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KamikazeKM

KamikazeKM Thread Starter

The hard drive on my laptop, as far as i can tell, has failed. Whenever I try to boot windows, in safe mode or normally, I get the 0x24 error on the blue screen of death. I can't even get into safe mode to try any disk checks or what-not.

The drive is a Seagate momentous 4200 (60gb). I'm guessing the easiest thing to do would be to get a new hard drive like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148089

Is this the my best option? There's really no data on the drive that I want to keep, I just want the quickest and easiest option.

The only problem with that is, I got the laptop on e-bay, so I don't have the windows re-installation CD, so even if I get the new hard drive I won't have windows anymore. The windows CD-Key is printed on the bottom of the laptop do you think I can call microsoft to get another copy of the CD for that CD key? I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks or so for shipping, I just don't want to pay 90 for a new copy of XP.

Thanks.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Don't buy a new hard drive until you're more sure what the problem is. Those blue screens can be caused by several things.

You cannot call microsoft and get a copy for $10. It doesn't really work that way.

You may be able to get a recovery disc from Compaq (what you meant by compact??) by searching their website. It may cost more than $10, but it will most likely be less than XP Home for $90.00.

In the meantime, I'd suggest hard drive diagnostics and memtest86 to help narrow down the source of the problem

3. KamikazeKM

KamikazeKM Thread Starter

K, I'll try calling COMPAQ(=P) tech suppotrt even though it's never solved an issue once. It's just I've never seen a blue screen with 0x24 as the error. When I google it I get http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888 which says there's a problem witht he NTFS file system. And any time I try to boot, even in safe mode, it crashes during bootup and the same blue screen comes on. If anyone else has seen a similar error please let me know. Thanks sam. I'll try calling later tonight or tomorrow.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Find your machine in Compaq's website, and find the manufacturer of the hard drive. You can find diagnostics there that run pre-OS, so the crashing won't matter. Then you'll know if you actually have a bad hard drive or a broken operating system.

5. techy689

techy689

I had a similiar with a friend's Dell notebook. The problem turned out to be the memory, and not the hard drive.

Know for sure what the problem is before you decide to buy any new hardware.

Also, the XP disks shouldn't be that expensive if you buy them from Compaq. Maximum like $20 with around $10 shipping..

Also, you may want to ask who you bought the laptop from if it is still under warranty and if they can transfer it to your name.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice