Companion anti-malware+firewall to complement paid AV

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheGreatKaito

I have been a fan of Kaspersky for like 5 years now, have their products installed on 4 different devices currently and they have never failed me to date. But, even traditional AV' s cannot detect everything with their behavior-based technology, I was looking for 2 freeware programs to complement my KIS[Kaspersky internet security] on my windows 10 pc. After a lot of poking and snooping around the IOT's , I finally came upon a nice malware remover tool known as SuperAntiSpyware :- https://www.superantispyware.com/ and Zonealarm's free firewall solution :- https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall/ .I just wanted to know whether using these applications with my traditional AV would bog down my system resources considerably or not, as I currently have 8 gigs of ram, will it be a problem? . I hope I do not sound paranoid, but traditional AV's with their signature-based detection were long touted to be dead against 0 day exploits and what not, I guess practicing safe browsing and tightening your security with multiple applications and browser extensions such as ublock origin,disconnect,noscript,etc is the only way to go ;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Windows 10 can have issues with updates/upgrades when a third-party antivirus app is installed, so I stick with its built-in Windows Defender Antivirus app.

I also use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware (both free) every 7 - 14 days to scan for and remove any threats they may find.

I've never used Kaspersky, so I can't comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I use Malwarebytes 3 (paid) and Hitmanpro along Bitdefender Total Security,it works for me.:)

TheGreatKaito

I use Malwarebytes 3 (paid) and Hitmanpro along Bitdefender Total Security,it works for me.:)
that looks like a good setup,can you tell me how much memory do this applications normally take in your system under idle circumstances[scanning,updating,etc tasks not included].I decided to go with MBAM free version[no real time protection], Adwcleaner and superantispyware to occasionally scan my system just like frank does. I think any other real-time protection suite bundled in another antivirus/anti-malware system will just clash with my paid KIS[unless they are compatible or I have to add their prog files in both of their exclusions].

TheGreatKaito

Windows 10 can have issues with updates/upgrades when a third-party antivirus app is installed, so I stick with its built-in Windows Defender Antivirus app.

I also use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and SUPERAntiSpyware (both free) every 7 - 14 days to scan for and remove any threats they may find.

I've never used Kaspersky, so I can't comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
can you give me any opinions on this anti-malware app https://www.mcshield.net/ that is supposed to be one of the best against flash drives and hard disk based infections. I like that it is free and has been developed by independent devs,but I do not know how compatible it is with other anti-malware/antivirus solutions because it has real-time protection enabled.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My security toolkit for Windows 10 is:
Windows Defender Antivirus
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(stand-alone version 2.2.1.1043)
SUPERAntiSpyware

They're all free and have worked well for me, and I use nothing else, so I can't comment on the app you mentioned.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I use Voodoo Sheild. It is an anti-executable which keeps a whitelist of programs on your hard drive and only allow those to run. Any foreign new programs running will cause a prompt. It also have AI features which evaluates the new exe and ranks the new exe when it prompts you.

There are several applications in this class of protection: Anti-Executable by Faronics, AppGuard, No Virus Thanks, and Voodoo Shield ( which has a free edition )

I also use Simple Software Restriction Policy (free). It is the SRP of Windows Pro migrated to run on Windows Home versions. What it does is only trust exe's in \Windows and \Program Files. Any other program that tries to run will result in an error message that says it is blocked by group policy. And you can unlock the protection temporarily from the systray.

Why do I have 2 similar behaving protections? Know that most attacks successfully perform privilege escalation, that is, they can reach the System/Admin account. And from that point, they can install their tools anywhere they wish; so SSRP fails, partially. There is a configuration in SSRP that can ban (blacklist) programs. I use this feature to ban script engines like cscript, wscript and cmd.exe, as it is these programs that run vbscripts and bat files. So in combination, Voodoo Shield and SSRP secures the system from foreign exe's and scripts. Scripts based attacks are the latest form of attack, google for 'fileless attacks' and you will see that it evades traditional AV protection. Kaspersky is one of the first to detect this at their client's sites. There is an outfit called Barkly or something like that that wants $150/seat to stop them for you saying that their behaviour based detection tool will find them.

For my main anti-virus, I use Windows 10's Windows Defender. It is getting better and better. In a av testing site, the last test shows it performs better than Aviara.

Last edited:

TheGreatKaito

My security toolkit for Windows 10 is:
Windows Defender Antivirus
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(stand-alone version 2.2.1.1043)
SUPERAntiSpyware

They're all free and have worked well for me, and I use nothing else, so I can't comment on the app you mentioned.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TheGreatKaito

I use Voodoo Sheild. It is an anti-executable which keeps a whitelist of programs on your hard drive and only allow those to run. Any foreign new programs running will cause a prompt. It also have AI features which evaluates the new exe and ranks the new exe when it prompts you.

There are several applications in this class of protection: Anti-Executable by Faronics, AppGuard, No Virus Thanks, and Voodoo Shield ( which has a free edition )

I also use Simple Software Restriction Policy (free). It is the SRP of Windows Pro migrated to run on Windows Home versions. What it does is only trust exe's in \Windows and \Program Files. Any other program that tries to run will result in an error message that says it is blocked by group policy. And you can unlock the protection temporarily from the systray.

Why do I have 2 similar behaving protections? Know that most attacks successfully perform privilege escalation, that is, they can reach the System/Admin account. And from that point, they can install their tools anywhere they wish; so SSRP fails, partially. There is a configuration in SSRP that can ban (blacklist) programs. I use this feature to ban script engines like cscript, wscript and cmd.exe, as it is these programs that run vbscripts and bat files. So in combination, Voodoo Shield and SSRP secures the system from foreign exe's and scripts. Scripts based attacks are the latest form of attack, google for 'fileless attacks' and you will see that it evades traditional AV protection. Kaspersky is one of the first to detect this at their client's sites. There is an outfit called Barkly or something like that that wants $150/seat to stop them for you saying that their behaviour based detection tool will find them.

For my main anti-virus, I use Windows 10's Windows Defender. It is getting better and better. In a av testing site, the last test shows it performs better than Aviara.
Thanks for the heads-up,I downloaded both of them and will update on how they work for me (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online