1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Company's proxy for SSH

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrmymllr, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrmymllr

jrmymllr Thread Starter

I'm trying to use PuTTY or WinSCP to connect from my company's network to a server I have at home. They use a proxy for web access. I have already determined the proxy's IP, port, and protocol. Normally the proxy settings are determined automatically by a URL, but I set these parameters manually in Firefox and it lets me out to the Internet, so that tells me they work. By the way, it's an HTTP proxy.

So....I put these settings into WinSCP and PuTTY and both immediately returns "403: Forbidden" or something similar. I checked my home router's log and there is no connection attempt. I tried SOCKS5, and I get no error, but it doesn't work either.

HOWEVER, if I put my personal IP address:port into Firefox and try to connect, then check my home router's log I see a connection attempt. I also get a message on my web browser that it's the incorrect protocol (Duh). So a connection is possible, just by the wrong program!

Any ideas on how to resolve this? We used to be prompted by the web browser for a login when accessing Internet websites, but they have changed this so we're not prompted anymore, if this helps. Also, Firefox and IE both work, so it's not locked to a specific web browser.

2. nerdincolorado

nerdincolorado

This might mean that you haven't fwd'd the correct ports on the router though...

But if you have done it from other connections? I would say that you still don't have the correct settings in putty for your proxy...

?

Matt

P.S. Looks like you have a fun little problem...

:p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice