1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq 2000 + Pci Audio card = NO SOUND !!! help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guzman, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guzman

Guzman Thread Starter

Hi everybody
    I hope some of you can help. Trying to set up a cheap old PC for a local Charity to use for basic office work / e-mail ect.

Problem is that the Compaq Desk pro 2000 -5200 model I cannot get any PCI audio card to be seen by Plug + Play when windows loads (98 se). Have tried 2 new 8mb cards both with C-Media CMI8738 chips. But still cannot get the audio card to be seen by PC .
    There is no onboard audio to disabled.

Has been fdisk(ed) and reformatted with fresh install of O/S (98 se). Have also flashed to latest Compaq's own Softpac V1.23 BIOS (c1999) have run F10 into Softpac Bios , no joy there to change things about (horrible thing).
    Pci bus is enabled
    Pci Bus Master is enabled
    Plug + Play loaded the new Modem with no problems at all. Tried all the usual things different slots , no IRQ conflicts ect

Have coming an old Creative Sound Blaster Isa 16 bit card got via ebay but any links and info on setting up a Isa card would also help this was before even my time with these beige boxes!!

Have tried to track down info on the web but still no joy. :(

So any of you guys who remember this old model can help out it would be greatly appreciated .
    These guys in the Charity need all the help they can get. So do I !!! :confused:

System Spec

Compaq Deskpro 2000 -5200 circa 1996

Pentium 200 Mhz (not MMX)
    Intel Triton 82430hx chipset
    Intel 82371sb Pci Bus Master controller
    Mobo Unknown Compaq own ! Lack of info on mobo
    Bios gives system ROM 586C
    S/No 8632HVT70248
    Onboard video Cirrus Logic 5436 1mb
    2 gig Hardrive
    64mb edo memory
    CD-Rom Drive Sony CDU 77E
    Riser card with 3 Pci-3 Isa slots 1 pci/ Isa shared
    Modem Agere (Lucent) chipset V90

Regards Roland

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice