1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq armada memory pc card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rider, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Hi everybody
    A friend has given me an old Compaq Armada laptop.I have removed a pc card 56 from it,it has" telephone network certified" written on it so I guess its for a net connection.Can I replace this with a memory card?.The old Armada only has about 2gig and I am hoping to squeeze some more life out of it.At the moment it has windows 95 ,but I would like to upgrade at least to 98,any help?

Thanks ,Rider

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the card has that written on it, it will be the modem card.

Memory cards do not fit or work in modem card slots, never have.

An old laptop with '95 on it will not have 2 GB of memory (probably about 32 MB only), I suspect you are confusing hard drive space with RAM memory?

Post the Armada model and we will be able to tell you more.

3. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Hi Kiwiguy,thanks for your reply.The model number is 1592DT on the old Armada.It really does look like it has 2 Gig to me,but hey I have never owned a laptop.Really I guess I would like to figure out a way to get more memory in the old beast,cheap of course!

Rider

4. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Just a suggestion, do some research into whatever you are going to do to the laptop before you do it, (ie google for potential problems with changes). I just spent way more time working on a compaq armada 1592 DMT than I needed to because I assumed it would be just like working on any other computer "WRONG". If you are going to go from 95 to 98 via a clean install, you will not only erase the hard drive of info, you will also be erasing the compaq software for entering the bios(ie the software is on the hd). Use Google, along with the Compaq site, as you more than likely will be needing drivers, ect. Good luck

Regards
    IMP49

5. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Thanyou IMP49 I appreciate your advice,will do as advised

Rider

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The Armada 1592DT came with 32 MB RAM, a 3.2 MB HDD, a 233 MHz CPU.

Used to have one of those, about 5 laptops ago!

7. Rider

Rider Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply Kiwiguy,much appreciated.
    I think I will just keep the old beast for a letter writer.Not even god for testing out new software really,cant bear to get rid of it though its in really good nick,seeya

Rider

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Wouldn't that be a 3.2gig hard disk? :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice