1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Deskpro won't boot up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stepheno, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

OK here's the problem - I have an old Compaq Deskpro which has been unused in my cellar for about a year. I would keep it either for the parts or for my daughter and I went to switch on today and it brought up Compaq 2000 32 ram and then just a flashing cursor. I tried to boot up with a W98 startup disk (thats the system on it) and it was ok. Any suggestions as to the problem and a solution please?

For info - it is 32 ram, W98, 1.5 gb hd, with cd rom and internal Windows modem.

Many thanks.

stepheno

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

My guess is the OS or partition table is corrupt. Using a Windows 98 boot disk, boot the machine. Type the following at the DOS prompt:

sys a: c:

and press enter. Reboot without the boot disk and see what happens.

By the way, Windows 98 needs at least 32 Megs of RAM for best efficiency.

3. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks Alex - I'll give it a whirl.

stepheno

4. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Hi Alex - I tried that but still just the flashing cursor. I've decided to reformat the hd and to clean install W98 and see if that works. I knew about the 32 meg ram for w98 - it did work ok but it tended to crawl a bit.

Thanks for the help.

stepheno

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

That old drive was probably FDisked in an old system, not the one it is in now. You need to do more than just reformat. You need to delete the current partition, via FDisk, then recreate it and then reformat.

6. stepheno

stepheno Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

stepheno

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice