1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq deskpro xl 575-wont go to system config

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Modelito, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modelito

Modelito Thread Starter

i got a old compaq deskpro xl 575/50 (bios date 04/07/97). i have just upgraded cpu from 50mhz to 300mhz (powerleap). system did not have ant problem untill i decided to upgrade memory too. after installing additional memory chips, i got "164 memory size error" & "f1 to continue" message. the problem is the flashing "cursor" at upper right hand corner did not appear so i cant go to system setup to configure system (memory size). is there a way to get the cursor going again??? or is there any other way to go to system setup??? please help....
    thank you..........

2. harperse

harperse

Try holding down F1 or F8 before you hit the power switch. On some Compaqs, this signals a keyboard error, which takes you into CMOS setup. Also, some older Compaqs had a diagnostic partition along with the BIOS. Did you change any hard drive settings?

3. Modelito

Modelito Thread Starter

hi! thanks for the reply. i tried holding down f1 & it did give me a keyboard error message but still did not go to system setup. this pc used to have a two partition hard drive & was changed to a single partition one about 6 months ago. i really did not noticed if that cursor at the upper right corner stopped working after that was done. never really paid any attention. what else do you think i should do??? i am pretty new with this computer stuff, so any kind of feedback will be very, very helpfull. thank you....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice