1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq DVD-ROM DRN8040B

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsjabbal, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsjabbal

jsjabbal Thread Starter

I do have a Compaq Armada M300 Laptop PC. It has a Compaq DVD-ROM DRN8040B CD/DVD Drive. DVD disks work fine with it, but I do have problems when I play an audio CD. After first 1 or 2 tracks, there are short interruptions in the audio input, with time these interruptions get worst, thus making it usless to hear a CD. My question is this a hardware problem, or I am not using the right drivers for my CD/DVD? I have Windows 2000 professional installed on my Laptop. Any help would be most welcomed. Thanks

2. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

It may be a hardware problem. First of all, are there any scratches on the CD? Second of all, download the correct drivers for the sound card AND CD drive(or whereever you play your cd's on the laptop, such as CD-R) this should help. You can find out hwat drivers you need by Right clicking my Computer, go to properties, hardware, and device manager. Look for the sound card and CD drive in which you play your CD's, and it will tell you the name.

3. jsjabbal

jsjabbal Thread Starter

Thanks Mr. PC Doc.

It is not a problem of scratches on the CDs, as this happens with all the CDs, and these CDs play well on other computers, or CD players. As fas as I know, I have the correct drivers for my DVD/CD Rom and my sound card. What intrigues me that DVD diskes work fine on my DVD/CD Rom, I tend to have some problems with my Audio CDs, and sometimes also with my Data CDs. But as you suggested, it seems to be a Hardware problem.

4. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

Did you check the device manager for a yellow or red exclamation point? It should automatically direct you to that.

It couldn't be that you are using the wrong CD's and the DVD can't support it, because you say it happens to all cd's. When you are listening, is your microphone plugged in? Unplug that. That sometime causes interference...

Also, try updating the driver... it may not seem like the problem, but it could be an easy fix.

If none of this works, try contacting Compaq to see if they will replace it for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice