1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Evo n610c USB not detected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Louissi, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Louissi

Louissi Thread Starter

Hey! I just bought a compaq evo n610c from ebay and i have a problem with it.

Problem:
    - When i plug any usb devices, there is no detection made by windows (no pop-ups or else)
    - When i plug my mouse or my usb key, the lights on them turns on for a milisecond, then turns off again.
    - I tried many logitech mouses, the computer never detect them.
    - When i tried a HP mouse, windows was unable to find any drivers to make it work.

I run on Service Pack 2 and I have the latest bios version. I also made all the upgrades available on compaq website. I run on windows XP Pro.

Plz help me :confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hardware damage I would expect. I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do about it on a laptop.

If you had consistent power from the port (the light stays lit), I would say it's a driver problem -- but no light means no power.

Is there any warranty on this purchase?

3. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Louissi, theoretically when a USB device requiring power is plugged to a USB port, a low level current is applied to check if an overcurrent problem may exist before the controler allows full current to be applied.

Part of this system is hardware and part is software so it is a bit of a problem to troubleshoot.

One method I find very useful is to boot on a live linux system that loads, and of course uses a different kind of software module to operate the system.
    This can be extremely helpful without tearing a system apart looking for something that may not be defective.

The system I prefer to use is this Puppy Linux, you can obtain the file here, it is seventy three megs.
    http://www.puppyos.com/

The suggested file is puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso and needs to be burned especially as an ISO file to make a bootable CD.
    The easiest way to do this is using BurnCDCC available here..
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
    Scroll down to find it, this is a special burning program for ISO files, use the slowest speed, direct it to the ISO file on your desktop. Close the CD.
    It burns in five minutes or so.

When you boot on this CD you will need to select a keyboard, USQWERTY should work, follow the defaults, this program will boot the machine by placing it's entire files into memory, it runs as a RAMDRIVE.

It should boot to a really nice desktop, at the top of screen you will see a "drives" icon.
    Do not double-click your mouse on anything! And don't save anything!

When the machine completes load and the desktop is clear, (simply exit the screen size setting box) fit your device, (try a flashdrive first) to the USB port, you should see the flashdrive flash several times, now single click the "drives" icon and a drive device box should appear.
    You should see the flashdrive (probably identified as SDA or something like that) you will also see a "mount" button to the right of that icon, single click that button and the flashdrive should mount and give a window showing it's contents.

In this program drives are manually mounted, so it really has merit with this kind of problem.
    If this doesn't happen your USB system has some kind of problem.
    UNmount the drive with a reverse procedure.
    To shut down Puppy use normal procedure but follow the "nosave" path.

If no joy, you could start by checking the machine BIOS has the USB's enabled.

If the USB system operated satis in Linux, your windows system has a problem.

I haven't tried this process on a laptop for a while but it should be an interesting exercise.
    (don't lose your Live Linux bootable CD, it can be incredibly useful)

Others may have simpler and easier methods, but not as exciting as this!!

Cheers, qldit.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The fact that the lights "flash" and go out suggests hardware damage to me, in that it is unable to sustain the USB power?

Forgive my cynicism, but the number of items flogged off on on-line auction sites because they are faulty is not insignificant, in my view. It can be very hard to get any redress for a buyer, which makes the selling method a favourite.

But I just hope I am wrong here, for your sake.

If all else fails you may be able to use a PCMCIA USB card?

5. qldit

qldit

G'day Kiwi, yes it certainly doesn't sound good.
    Howsitoverthere tonight, 22 at 1845 here, cold snap coming your way, enjoy!! LOL!!
    qldit.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Another satisfied eBay user.

7. Louissi

Louissi Thread Starter

well... the vendor had over 10000 satisfied buyers... naway, i will try to boot on linux just to see. Thanks alot for that huge response!

8. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Chaps, if ever you are on an old ship working on the hull, never give up until the sky turns green!
    Cheers. qldit.

9. j5t0rm

j5t0rm

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Brings up another point to make sure you have the newest bios update as well and also go into the bios and make certain usb ports are enabled.
    When you go into Device Manager, and yellow "?" marks down by usb controllers on bottom. If you open USB, do you see the word enhanced anywhere?(Run,devmgmt.msc)
    And to the "eBay basher", I didn't hear that! My shop would be virtually empty if eBay didn't exist. And I have never had anything not work in 1000 feedback.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice