1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Laptop - Touchpad Disabling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coynster, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coynster

Coynster Thread Starter

I just received a hand-me-down Compaq Armada E500 S, and I use an external mouse.

Could someone please tell me there's a way to disable the touchpad while the external mouse is connected? It is so frustrating accidentally hitting the touchpad and sending the cursor randomly all over the screen while typing.

Thanks greatly...

2. Jballou

Jballou

If you say its a hand-me-down laptop, I'll assume your running windows 9x. Go into your device manager (windows key+break, Device manager tab) and find the touchpad. I'm not sure where it is located but once you find it, double click and you can check a box for disabling the device ("disable in this hardware profile").

3. Coynster

Coynster Thread Starter

I should have listed it originally... I'm running Win 2000 Pro, and unfortunately there's no Touchpad option listed anywhere in my device manager (good call by the way). Any other suggestions?

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

Can you not disable it in Mouse properties>Hardware?

5. Coynster

Coynster Thread Starter

That's correct, the only option I have for disabling the mouse is to disable the external wheel mouse that I use all the time...

6. kramnnim

kramnnim

Strange, does the touchpad have any special software? Both of my Compaqs have Synaptics touchpads, and you can adjust the senstivity, etc. They're both newer Presarios, though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice