Compaq Laptop TV Out Help!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

masterice

Hello there,

I have a Compaq Armada 4160T Laptop. It has a TV Out port on the back, so i decided to try and connect it to my tv. I plugged in a video lead (yellow plugs) into tv. So i went to press the button that changes the viewing mode (im not sure of the name of that button, the one that changed between the screen or and external device or both). So i found a button (F4) that has a sorta screen image on it, which was colored blue (Hold Fn for that command) So i tryed it and nothing happens... No matter what i think of nothing appears. I have tryed a couple of tv's and now im stuck.. Any help would be great.

Compaq Armada 4160T Laptop - Windows 95

Cheers!
Lee

I'm guessing that you are not plugged correctly at the TV end.

My experience with my HP laptops is that if I mistakenly select aux1 on the TV when the S-Video cable is in aux2, the laptop does a "quick cycle" when I hit the f4 button and reverts back to LCD display.

With my older of the two laptops, once I screwed up, I had to reboot the laptop before the f4 would work right again...why that is I do not know? THe newer laptop is more forgiving.

masterice

nope, my laptop doesnt seem to cycle at all :S so im not sure. I know that im on the right input channel for the tv tho.

masterice said:
I know that im on the right input channel for the tv tho.

Just curious what you mean when you say CHANNEL???

What is the ID on the TV "Port" that you are plugged into?

Is your Yellow lead an RCA jack or S-Video ???

if it is s-video

thats what i see on just about all laptops

you will need a adapter for this

i posted a step by step instruction for doing it
scroll to the bottom of the page all pics were taken by me. sry, my digital camera sucks and has no flash
so i brightened it up with photoshop. i have a white card which makes it easy to change levels)
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2241e/tips/id6.html

masterice

Im not sure what you call it. Right the laptop has a port at the back with a picture of a TV above it, and it looks like this ..

http://www.eyeassociates.com/Images 2/AV POrt TV plug in.jpg

just the yellow bit, not the audio jacks.

I have a wire just like in the picture which has the same adapter on the other end of it. That is connected to my tv.. and i what i mean by channel is im on the right selection on my tv for the input.

Any help ?

hmm did you reboot with the laptop connected to the tv.It helps sometimes.Also did you go into display properties(right click on desktop select properties) Select settings then try using the drop down arrow to change displays.You may also have to select the advanced tab and select display.Been a long time since I did this with a compaq laptop.Hope this helps.

masterice said:
.. and i what i mean by channel is im on the right selection on my tv for the input. Any help ?
Well no help really, because you are still using ambiguous terminology. :rolleyes:

The "Right Selection" means WHAT???

Channel 3 ?

AUX1 or AV1 ?

AUX2 or AV2 ?

Be specific!!! Leave no room for interpretation on our part.

masterice

I dont see how it matters what number AV it is on, anyway it is AV 3 and i know its the right channel for the port as i had a video recorder on it.

I have seen the Go to display and choose from the drop down list but it doesnt have a drop down list or anything to do with tv out anywhere (not even advance)... It is because it is on Windows 95?? I have only seen this on Win XP Pro

P.S - Do i need a different cable then? - "those are RCA wires (av wires)"
Cheers
Lee

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online