1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq M2000 Presario Fan Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLRexx, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DLRexx

DLRexx Thread Starter

My Compaq M2000 Presario fan will not work. I have even bought a new fan and it still does not work. Is there a thermal switch on the motherboard that i could use to turn on the fan. Help is much apreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There will be a sensor "deeply embedded" in the system, but it is highly unlikley to be in the nature of a "switch" or anything mechanical that you can manually operate.

4. DLRexx

DLRexx Thread Starter

where would this be located? and could i hot wire the fan to work?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is probably located under the CPU or similarly embedded beyong reach. If you saw it would you even know what it looked like? (it will be a thermistor or a thermal diode, there will be nothing necessarily to suggest what function it performs.

Also you will not know how it acts, it will not be a switch, rather a component that changes its value dependent on temperature. So finding it will be of little use I suspect.

If you have a schematic for the motherboard and can locate a clean access to power, you could power the fan directly, but that would mean it would run all the time.

What is your level of electronics knowledge and skill though? It is REALLY easy to economically destroy a laptop...

6. DLRexx

DLRexx Thread Starter

do you know where i might be able to find a schematic for the motherboard?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618086