1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq message on booting

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by llmartens, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llmartens

llmartens Thread Starter

After booting my Compaq Presario 1698 the following message appears on my screen ,covering the center and refusing to be deleted in any way:
    "This software is being installed for you automatically
    DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS !"
    At this time the pointer is disappeared. I must press CTRL-ALT-DELETE in order to regain the pointer. Still, the pointer cannot enter the space occupied by the above message, preventing me to delete it. I can use only the rest of my screen to continue any activity, but the message continues to cover anything in the center of the screen.
    I have to stress the fact that at booting I did not try to install any software which could justify the pesky message.
    My Windows OS : 98 Second Edition
    Processor : 450 MHz AMD K6-2 w/3D Now
    Any help will be much appreciated !

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like time to call Compaq, I've never seen that! Are you connected to the Internet when this happens? Is there any activity? I sure don't like the sound of this, but I don't know what you'd do about it either. :confused:

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi llmartens

Can you download startuplist ?

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.51 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

Direct link to startuplist http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/startuplist151.zip

steam

4. llmartens

llmartens Thread Starter

Many thanks to Johnwill and Steamwiz for promptly answering my call for help. To Johnwill I confirm that I am not connected to the internet , just booted up when the trouble begins.
    To Steamwiz: I obtained the startup list 1.51 just as you kindly indicated and I will try to attach it here. Many thanks again.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Your original post was back a page or two- you should always reply in the same thread for the same problem- those working on it with you will like to have all the info on same page-so, have asked a moderator to merge your two threads. Good luck!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice