1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq NC3121 Fast Ethernet Card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by highspeed, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

Please geeks am having a problem with my NIC.I just inserted the NIC card into my HP Pentium 4 computer which has an onboard NIC which is not working.
    But when I inserted this Compaq NC3121 Fast Ethernet NIC, windows detect it as Ethernet controller and says I should click on the notification icon to run the setup, when I click on the notification icon, it shows up the network setup wizard which i go through all the process like setting up a small home or office network..It searches and then successfully complete the wizard.
    But in the LAN connection properties, I see the status as: Automatic private Address which is 169.254.123.63, subnet Mask: 255.255.0 and defaulty gateway is blank.Speed is 100.0Mbps.
    Under the properties I have DHCP enabled and TCP/IP filtering also checked and thats the same settings on all computers at the enterprise.
    Now what i want to do is, I want to be able to get an automatic ip in the range of 192.168.1.X since all the other computers here are in that same ip range and can browse.
    But with this it says LAN connected but I cannot access browser

2. Under folder options in my computer, whenever i choose show common tasks in folders and click ok, it takes effect alright but when i close my computer window or windows explorer and reopen it again, then it would come back to a different settings like Use windows classic folder. What might be the cause of this?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    goto device manager and lets see what the status of your new board is

did youinstal drivers for it ?

have disabled the old NIC?

start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

could be a firewall blocking access - switch that off

how do you know th eold NIC is not working - what are the symptoms

3. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

It shows as this device is working properly..
    It's Win xp pro (SP!. how do i get to firewalls?
    I have unchecked all items in the LAN propetties box like incoming mail blah blah blah (HTTP and remote desktop connections...
    Checked on assign Ip automatically and same as server..
    yeah the old onboard one. Well when you connect the network cable it doesn't appear in the system traya s connected or anything. it just has the network cable unplugged X on it...

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may have to disable the onboard one

have you installed a firewall ?

5. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

Well I don't think I have a firewall because I have ony Avast 4 Professional and i know its only an Antivirus (no firewall supported right?)...

Under network adaptors in device manager, the onboard card does not show there..

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's a problem, does the card appear with an error under "Other Devices" in Device Manager? If so, it's probably missing it's drivers.

7. highspeed

highspeed Thread Starter

Nope, no error or post codes..

8. JohnWill

If the card doesn't show up anywhere in Device Manager, it's more likely a hardware issue with the network card.

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Your card is working properly. When you get a 169 address under Windows, it means your PC isn't getting a reply back from a DHCP server. Make sure your DHCP server is functioning and your PC is able to communicate to it.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you connect a different computer to the cable and LAN port that you are using for the problem PC do you get a good connection (with dynamic addressing)?

Does the ethernet LED light when you plug the cable into the problem PC?

Does the ethernet connection show as enabled in Network Connections? What error message do you get if you right click it and select 'repair'?

11. JohnWill

If the NIC does not show up anywhere in Device Manager, you are wrong, it's NOT working properly!

Let's see this for the problem machine.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As I understand it the integrated ethernet adapter is not working and does not appear in the Device Manager; a PCI ethernet card was installed and is the one getting the Auto Config. address.

My previous post was based on this understanding.

13. zx10guy

If the NIC wasn't operating properly, there wouldn't be anything appearing with the ipconfig command nor would there be a 169 address.

This is purely a connection issue (ie layer 1 problem) or a DHCP issue.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You guys are talking about two different adapters. And because the integrated adapter "disappeared" this is probably not "purely a connection issue ... or a DHCP issue."

15. zx10guy

From the OP:

This tells me he has the cable connected into the Compaq NIC and not the onboard controller. If there was no physical connection to bring up the network interface, he would not see the above IPs listed. So there's some sort of issue where the DHCP server isn't seeing the client broadcast for an address or the client isn't seeing the reply from the DHCP server. There is still a chance there's some sort of physical connection problem but the chances of this is pretty remote.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice