1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq non booting H/Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kevhatch, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevhatch

kevhatch Thread Starter

Hi, my mates pc has died and I have been trying to install XP Home onto a new hard drive for him. I have got a legit copy of XP of my own which I have installed on his H/D with all the latest updates and which is running fine on my backup PC, and will boot in my main PC.
    When I try to boot up on my mates PC all I get is the Safe Mode , Last Good Configuration etc. screen and no matter which option I choose it keeps coming back to this screen.
    The PC I am trying to install the new drive on is a Compaq Pressario (S5500 UK...I think)
    AMD Athlon XP 3000.
    Any Ideas as to why it won't boot? Is it because it's a Compaq? Will I have to re-install XP onto his H/D with it installed in the PC it will be used in?
    Thx for your help in advance

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

You cannot install Windows XP on one machine and then move the hard drive to another unless the two machines are identical.

3. kevhatch

kevhatch Thread Starter

If thats the case then surely I shouldn't have been able to load the XP that came with an old Mesh PC of mine onto my mates HD installed on the PC that I have built out of various other machines in the first place??

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

It doesn't matter where you got the Cd to load XP with, when you move the hard drive to your friends Compaq there are two problems: 1. The drivers loaded are now being loaded for non-existant hardware components and 2. hardware components that are on the new PC do not have correct drivers loaded for them to run correctly. You could try to do a repair install after you move it but if you are going to do that you might as well move it and do a fresh install.

5. kevhatch

kevhatch Thread Starter

Thanks... I was thinking I might have to re-install onto his computer. I will give it a go.

6. kevhatch

kevhatch Thread Starter

Hi,
    OK, I put the new drive into the correct PC, re-booted and repaired windows. Afew files couldn't be loaded which I guess is my problem but everything else was ok except I couldn't activate so did that over the phone.
    Now I can access the internet no probs but I have no automatic updates in control panel tho I have windows update on the start menu. If I click on windows update it just shows that it's opening the page but nothing happens... same if I go on the net and go to microsoft.com.
    Also there is the security center icon in control panel, but clicking that just brings up a blank page.
    And lastly (so far!!) I can't access outlook express.... clicking the shortcut just results in a "beep" then nothing.
    Any help in solving this appreciated....
    Thx
    Kev

7. cmw2010

cmw2010

8. kevhatch

kevhatch Thread Starter

All sorted now thanks for your help....turned out to be the date was set back to 2001.
    Kev

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!