1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq notebook /Netgear router : finds neighbours signal but not home router ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kankaroo, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kankaroo

kankaroo Thread Starter

Hi everyone !

Last night I set up a home network for a friends house using a NETGEAR DG834G wireless router. The desktop is connected to the net through the ethernet cable no probs, and my laptop connects to the router wirelesly no problem in every room in the house.

Problem is my friends laptop which is a Compaq Presario (I forget model) cannot find the router. Instead it finds all the neighbour's routers ?!?!? even with the laptop sitting next to the router there is no detection. It is about one year old and running XP. On the Windows network setup it says the wireless chip on the Compaq is a Broadcom 802.116/g

I use Intel PROSet/Wireless to connect to it using my laptop, but my friends laptop has something called HP Wireless Assistant, which has basically no options other than telling you that the wireless technology is turned on.

I have turned off firewalls etc but it will not find the NETGEAR router ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!