1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq onboard sound card hell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lordbyronius, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lordbyronius

lordbyronius Thread Starter

Alright, so my hand-me-down computer is a Compaq Deskpro still running Windows 98. I know that's just asking for trouble, but really, I need some help here.

The Deskpro has an integrated, onboard sound card - an ESS 1869 sound card that was pretty good until I bought myself a Hercules 5.1 surround PCI card. I installed the thing as well as the latest drivers and whatnot, everything seemed to be going good, until I realized the sound was still going through the onboard ESS sound card, while the PCI card wasn't doing anything at all.

So I tried using the Windows 98 Device manager to disable the two ESS audio devices that were listed; one was an "Control Interface" the other a "Plug-n-Play AudioTable". Didn't work. Instead of audio coming out of the wrong sound card, I got NO audio whatsoever.

Then I went into the BIOS, and set the "onboard audio" setting under the "Onboard Devices" tab to "disabled." That solved NOTHING.

So, I looked for a jumper or somesuch on the motherboard. Nope, no jumper.

So now I'm confused and frustrated and rather angry. Anyone have any idea of the twisted inner workings of the Compaq Deskpro? Anyone have a similar situation? Or does anyone wanna possibly send me a new Alienware computer to shut me up? :D

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there lordbyronius...

Can you go into the Control Panel and double click on Multimedia, and make sure that the Preferred palyback device is the PCI card ?

3. lordbyronius

lordbyronius Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I tried what you said, and the Multimedia section ONLY lists the ESS sound card and NOTHING else.

Hmm... There just HAS to be a jumper somewhere that'll solve this that I just missed somewhere... how else to explain how nothing else works?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Is the PCI sound card showing up in Device Manager ?

5. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, my comp is a compaq presario with ESS onboard sound. A few months ago I decided to put all our old LP records onto cd's. Thinking ESS was not much good I put in a creative vibra and started my project. Turned off the onboard sound via msconfig.exe and proceeded. Guess what? The ESS is much better than any PCI soundcard. You will notice, if you get it up and running that the soundcard will emit an earsplitting crack every few minutes and will gobble up disk space with various non-essential sound applications. The Vibra lasted one week before being pulled out. Hey, everyone to their own, good luck with your new sound card but ESS comes in a winner as far as recording and true reproduction are concerned. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice