1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Persario 5062 issues..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kalisun, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalisun

kalisun Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a friends system here that's a older Compaq Persario 5062, running Win98...

System was running ok, but needed to have the CD replaced, I replaced the CD, but as soon as I plug the power in the system boots up (the old everything turns on but no power to the monitor problem)..I figured it must be a short somewhere so I unplugged every thing from the board including RAM, the only thing that was connected was the CPU and the 3 power leads P1, P2 and P3. I connected the power plug and system starts..next step I did was to remove the MB from the mounting brackets and completely seperate it from anything metal, system still starts when plugging in power. So I started to remove each power leads and got all the way to the last power lead (P2) that was still powering up system. It must be the lead that provided that main power to the board.

I checked on Compaqs site but couldn't find info on jumpering the CMOS to clear it...That's about the only thing I can think of trying???

Anyone else got any ideas?? it was working fine before I swapped CD drive?

Thanks!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Be sure the Pin-1 orientation on the CD drive is correct. The stripe on the ribbon cable should be nearest the power terminal on the back of the CD drive.

In the absence of knowledge of where the CMOS-clear jumper is, unplug the power cord to the system, disconnect the monitor and remove the main board battery for a while. Usually, 20 minutes or more does it.

3. kalisun

kalisun Thread Starter

Ok will do, thanks for the reply!!

I should also note that I do have the motherboard completely bare of all external connection and RAM...so right now there's nothing connected to the motherboard except the power leads...and the system will still boot-up if I plug the power cable in..also, there's no beeps or anything when the system starts up?? Not sure if that's normal for this board. I know many other boards that will beep if there's no RAM installed??

thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice