1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq presario 1200XL111

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frank366, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank366

Frank366 Thread Starter

My compaq was working fine until one day it just went off during a user session. Pushing the power button made it try to start but when it began to load windows 98 it quit again. After serveral retries it finally started up again. It ran OK for about one week , then just went off again. This was during a user session.(user session meaning it was in use at the time). I tried to restart it but it would not restart. Finally it tried to start, then said press F2, then the video went out. Nosthing shows up on the screen now. When powered on you can hear the hard drive start up but that's about it. The three year warantee lapsed about a year ago . I was wondering whether or not this has something to do with the cmos battery. Apparently several people I know who purchased a Compaq laptop have run into the same problem. I have a friend who owns an IBM thinkpad which has done precisely the same thing. Any suggestions.

Sincerely

Frank

2. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

It is possible for the cmos battery to cause similiar problems, but from what you are saying it looks like a processor problem. For the system to just shut off in the middle of being used and unable to start up again, shows the possibility that the processor has overheated and the machine has powered off, however because the machine is still too hot it wouldnt fully start up again.
    To say that your video has then gone, could mean the processor is completely knackered, signs of life can still be seen from the machine but nothing will appear on the screen, in most cases the monitor will stay on standby even when the machine is powered on.

I suggest a new processor, with new heatsinc and fan.

3. Frank366

Frank366 Thread Starter

New processor was installed same problem

4. tinkthelizard

tinkthelizard

Still nothing appearing on screen?
    was a new heatsinc and fan also installed with new processor? you havent re-used the previous ones?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499377