1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 1247 - Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Node101, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Node101

Node101 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario 1247 Notebook (laptop) with Windows 98 Second Edition with a 4.3 Gigabyte hard drive that was logically partitioned into 2 drives (C: and D: ). Earlier this year I used my CD Burner to copy all of the Quick Restore files from the D: Drive to a blank CD-ROM (CD-RW) disk and then removed the partition from the hard drive with a program from the Compaq Website. My CD-Burner is connected to my Notebook via a PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card, it has 2 USB Ports on it, one port is being used by my CD-Burner the other port is not being used.

Last Friday (09-24-2004) my Notebook caught a virus while I was on the internet and it was corrupted. MS Windows Explorer error message came up when I tried to look at my hard drive. The error message also came up when I rebooted, therefore no desktop icons appeared. So I reformatted the hard drive C: and put the Quick Recovery CD-ROM Disk in the internal CD-ROM drive. However, the Quick Recovery Disk displayed a message that it could not find the Quick Restore files and to contact Compaq Customer Support. I reformatted my hard drive again this time with the /quick format switch and /make system disk switch and then copied all the files and subdirectories from the Quick Recovery CD to my hard drive. Now before I even tried to run FDISK to repartition my hard drive into 2 logical drives I thought I would put the CD (CD-RW) containing all of the Quick Restore files and subdirectories that I burned earlier this year (before I removed the partition). However, the internal CD-ROM drive is unable to read any of my CDs except for my Quick Recovery CD. I took my backup of D: drive CD (Quick Restore files on CD-RW), my Win98SE CD (CD-R), and my Win95 CD (CD-R) to work and I was able to view their contents under Windows and DOS using a computer at work, but I am not able to view them under DOS on my Notebook.

Is there a driver that will allow me to view other CDs with my internal CD-ROM Drive on my Notebook so that I can copy all of the files and subdirectories from my backup of Drive D: CD (Quick Restore files) via the DOS XCOPY program? Right now my only other option is to copy my Drive D: backup CD to my parents computer via their CD-ROM drive and use the old DOS programs BACKUP.EXE and RESTORE.EXE to transfer the files from my parent's computer to my Notebook via floppy disks.

By the way, I did contact Compaq, but after I gave them my Notebook's serial number they said they could not send me a Quick Restore CD for Windows 98 Second Edition because the license agreement has expired, nor could they send me any version of a Quick Restore CD (ME, XP, 2000, NT) they had for Compaq Presario Notebooks.

I am posting this message using my computer at work in case you were wondering.

Thanks,

Node101

2. slawless

slawless

have you tried the ultimate boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It containes many utilities that might help.

it is bootable so it should load

Steve L

3. Node101

Node101 Thread Starter

Thanks slawless I will check it out.

Node101

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/278984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice