1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq presario 1500 TROUBLE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by norby500, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norby500

norby500 Thread Starter

Hi, i have a compaq presario notebook and it was fine up until the battery won't hold charge longer than 15 minutes at times. I then get a problem where it will randomly freeze or restart and i think it is down to the XP SP3 windows i am using and the fact i cannot find my serial number for my machine as the sticker has worn off. the website for me to get the correct overall drivers requires a serial number to give me the correct drivers, any idea's what i can do to resolve all of these issues? i think my machine maybe overclocking as it gets VERY hot.

2. TekTime

TekTime

You can find your serial key quite easily. Download:

www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ Install it and run it, you will have your key instantly.

Your PC freezing and restarting could be caused by overheating.

3. norby500

norby500 Thread Starter

thanks for the link, the only problem i mean with the keyfinder issue is that on the support website for my compaq they required the laptop serial code to specify which drivers i need as there is alot of models in the range of laptop i have, any idea's how i can find this in the bios or anything? i know it is a presario 1500 but it requires the unique id

4. TekTime

TekTime

5. norby500

norby500 Thread Starter

'We were able to determine you have one or more of the following products. Please select your specific product(s)'

this is what i am receiving!

another problem i noticed was my cpu speed, is there any programs to tame it down?

6. TekTime

TekTime

You would like to "tame it down"....make it slower?

7. norby500

norby500 Thread Starter

yeah, the problem i have is that the fan is constantly on and it tends to either hit a blue screen sometimes or it just freezes and forces me into keeping my finger on the power button. what do you reccommend for me to do? perhaps tame down the cpu speed? i need some real advice on this 1.

8. TekTime

TekTime

It sounds as if your cooling fan is going bad, and needs to spin more frequently than it should to cool down your processor. It's also possible that the thermal paste between your processor and heat sink/fan needs to be reapplied, as heat transfer may be low currently.

Those are just possibilities but without actually seeing your laptop it's hard to tell.
    You shouldn't have to "tame" your CPU to run slower than it is rated, just to solve the fan issue.
    By the way, certain Compaqs are notorious for overheating, I have one myself and the fan is unbearable at times..I just don't want to take the time to replace it since I rarely use it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice