1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 1800T laptop (smoke from the power input area)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newbie2004, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newbie2004

newbie2004 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Newbie to this site, but hope you guys/gals can help me out. I've had this laptop for about 4 years and ironically, the extended warranty ran out only 3 weeks ago.

3 problems:

This evening I turned on the laptop for about 15 mins and noticed the power light indicator was blinking on and off. Soon smoke started to come from the power/network port area and the system immediately shutdown. I immediately pulled the AC adapter out and allowed the system to cool. Upon disassembling the laptop, I could not find any burns on the board near the power/network port area. Is it safe then to turn on the laptop again? Anyway to isolate what caused the problem?

2. The AC Adapter has been problematic for awhile. It appears to be loose and will sometimes cause the laptop to auto shutdown due to loss of power. I often to jiggle this wire to allow it continue to provide power. How do I test if the problem is w/ the pin on the m/board or the external adapter?

3. The battery on the laptop has also not been working on its own for awhle. When ever I pull the battery out, it shows that a little bit of juice on the indicator, but when I remove the adapter and let the laptop run on the battery alone, it shuts down w/in 2-3 minutes. How can I test to see if the battery is still fully functional?

I really don't want to have to take the laptop into a service center so they can screw me over w/ diag costs and unnecessary parts - so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would NOT try to plug in the power until you find out what caused the problem. I posted a picture of what happens if the power connector comes loose and shorts to something recently in another laptop repair thread, it's not pretty! :eek:

If you got somke, I suspect the power connector inside the laptop has probably been broken and/or loosened from the motherboard. Bad things happen right after that. You need to get that fixed before connecting power again...

4. ajh_ajh

ajh_ajh

If the unit is under warrenty- call the tech support for the replacement of the SMPS or replacement.

5. newbie2004

Thanks for the advice guys. Took to it the technicians and they did a lamea** job of testing the system out. I don't think they even opened it.

Basic conclusion according to them is that the MB is fried because there are burn marks right below the AC connector. The cost of replacement is 500 smackers! Here are my questions:

1) Though the battery has pretty much zero juice, I can start the computer and almost load into Windoze before the power dies. If the MB was really fried, I wouldn't be able to even start the computer right? If I run the laptop on a charged battery alone (w/o the AC adapter plugged in) do I run the risk of frying the board?

2) I strongly believe that the AC connector is the only problem and probably needs to be replaced (new connectors costs like 8 bucks). I'd like to determine this on my own instead of taking it to another technician and be fed the same bs. How can I determine if only the AC connector is damaged or if the MB is truly fried? Preliminary look at the board shows no burn/charred marks.

3) Assuming the connector is the only problem, is it possible for me to take out the old chip and solder in a new one on my own? This would be a first, so how should I go about doing this?

3) In the event that the board is dead, I will probably buy a new comp. How can I transfer the contents from my laptop HD (works fine) to a new hard drive or even just burn it into CDs?

Thanks!!!!

btw - this unit is not warrantied. Bought it 4 years ago and warranty has run out. Also, I'm really looking for advice on determining whether the problem is with the AC connector or the whole MB, and if only the AC connector, how I can repair it myself.

6. doggard

doggard

On the note of power supplies Dell recently issued a recall for some models due to I believe a manufacturing problem which causes the unit to overheat.
    As to your unit,eBay has a surfit of power supplies that will fit your unit should you wish to go down that route personally I would have returned a warrintied unit before now with the problems you seem to have encountered.

7. newbie2004

Sorry for the repeat - hoping some experts can give me some detailed ans on my qs.

Thanks!
    ---

Thanks for the advice guys. Took to it the technicians and they did a lamea** job of testing the system out. I don't think they even opened it.

Basic conclusion according to them is that the MB is fried because there are burn marks right below the AC connector. The cost of replacement is 500 smackers! Here are my questions:

1) Though the battery has pretty much zero juice, I can start the computer and almost load into Windoze before the power dies. If the MB was really fried, I wouldn't be able to even start the computer right? If I run the laptop on a charged battery alone (w/o the AC adapter plugged in) do I run the risk of frying the board?

2) I strongly believe that the AC connector is the only problem and probably needs to be replaced (new connectors costs like 8 bucks). I'd like to determine this on my own instead of taking it to another technician and be fed the same bs. How can I determine if only the AC connector is damaged or if the MB is truly fried? Preliminary look at the board shows no burn/charred marks.

3) Assuming the connector is the only problem, is it possible for me to take out the old chip and solder in a new one on my own? This would be a first, so how should I go about doing this?

3) In the event that the board is dead, I will probably buy a new comp. How can I transfer the contents from my laptop HD (works fine) to a new hard drive or even just burn it into CDs?

Thanks!!!!

btw - this unit is not warrantied. Bought it 4 years ago and warranty has run out. Also, I'm really looking for advice on determining whether the problem is with the AC connector or the whole MB, and if only the AC connector, how I can repair it myself.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy newbie2004...

IMHO, if the board was fried it wouldn't boot even with a battery ( unless it has a separate battery charger board, and that is what fried )...

2) Hard to tell without looking at the board, but... if you did not see any burn marks on the board ( assuming you took it apart, and it looks like you did )

Do you have a DVM ( digital volt meter ), or access to one ?

If so you can check the voltage at the connector, for voltage present, or do a continuity check...

Just take it apart and use a soldering iron and desolder the old one and solder in the new one ( assuming that is the problem )...

3) You could buy a 2.5 to 3.5 cable adapter and connect it to a pc and use something like Symantec Ghost to create an image, and then transfer the image to the new one...

9. newbie2004

Hey Jedi_Master,

Thanks a bunch for the answers. I've been doing a lot of rsch on how to resolve this problem and you answers defintely help. Couple qs:

1) I don't have any circuity testing experience. How do I test for a continuity check using a DVM? More importantly, what all parts should I be checking on the MB to determine if they're working or fried? Since smoke came out of the board at the beginning of this problem, I'm assuming some diodes/capacitors etc might be fried as well. If that's the case, how can I test for it and is it possible to replace them myself?

2) I checked Radio Shack for 40 watt solders. They all seem to have pretty big points/pins/ends. Are there any specific brand of solder that offer really small points that will be ideal for circuit board soldering?

3) Is there any way I can get access to the circuit design chart/diagram for the presario 1800T so I know what the functions of the different parts (diodes, transistors, capacitors) are?

Thanks!

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

If it is just the connector, no problem, they're easy to check, trying to troubleshoot it down to a specific component is a different story, you would need the diagram ( and Compaq will not turn loose of them, nor tell you where to get them ), and a good understanding on how the components work...

Is there any way you can take a picture of both sides of the board and post them ( would be much easier to troubleshoot ) ?

Weller has some good ones...

http://www.superkleendirect.com/wemasoirmfpn.html

No...they won't turn loose of them ( I've tried )...

Do you by any chance know anyone that has a presario 1800T ?

Thinking you may get them to recharge the battery, and put it back in your laptop, to at least test the battery section of the motherboard...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302336