1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 2200 laptop hard drive fail

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by psychosandy, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychosandy

psychosandy Thread Starter

I have not been able to start up windows xp. All I get is a black screen and a blinking cursor in the upper left hand cornor. I put in my recovery disk it acts like it is going to re-install windows and then nothing. When I open up the bios settings and use a hard drive comprehensive test it says that my hard drive had failed the test. The hard drive is a seagate 40GB AT disc drive. I took it out and put in another laptop hard drive. I did have to take off a converter thing from the seagate and put it on the IBM hard drive. When I turn on the laptop it boots from the CD and I press enter to set up windows xp home edition. The screen says
    1546 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 atapi [MBR]
    C: Partition1 [FAT32] 1551 MB (135 MB free)

I press enter to set up xp. The partition you selected does not have enough free space for the installation of windows xp. Set up must reformat it. I tell it to reformat.
    The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing windows setup must format this partition.
    C: Partition1 [FAT32] 1551 MB (135MB free) on 1546 MB Disk 0 at Id 0n bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    I pick to format the partition using the NTFS file system.
    It tells me to wait.......Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documention for more information.

I am totally lost, can anyone help me.:confused:

2. BLT

BLT

If there is anything on the drive which you need to recover I would recommend doing that first.

Test the hardware using the seagate 'Sea Tools' for dos utility found at the following link;

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

If that shows no errors and assuming you have either backed your data up elsewhere or don't need any of the data on the drive (as this would destroy all data) Try using the windows setup routine to delete all partitions and then re-create/format them.

3. psychosandy

psychosandy Thread Starter

Thank you I will try the sea tools and see what happens. Wish me luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!