1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

COMPAQ PRESARIO 2200/NOTEBOOK..Power Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blaqsense, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blaqsense

Blaqsense Thread Starter

Okay I have a Compaq Notebook 3.25gb running Windows xp home. Okay this is the problem... it wont boot anymore (not a laptop tech). Now I've removed the battery and plugged It into the AC Outlet...still no power.. so I'm thinking okay maybe it's the plug...Not!! I place that same hp adapter to another laptop and it works fine. Can anyone provide some instructions on what steps I should take now. I'm thinking it's the board itself or the pin connector on the laptop... thanks in advance here

:cool:

2. Sponsor

3. Blaqsense

Blaqsense Thread Starter

Oh by the way no LED light comes on... Sometimes the light comes on real quick then goes out..the amber light will come on when I place the battery in or when I plug the AC adpater in... thnks for any and all help again.

4. usermike2098

usermike2098

I've got basically the same problem. I'm using a Compaq presario R3440ca. The battery won't hold a charge after less than a year of usage. Now while its plugged into AC power the power cord icon on the taskbar switches to the battery. Its been going on for a few weeks now, although today its really bad. I left the thing on last night and i woke up and the thing was off (so obviously the thing switched off of ac power and the battery died). So before certain things seemed to set it off, like when i had the machine on my lap and it was tilted down. If the machine was sitting on a flat surface then it usually was fine. Now its not even like that today. I checked the HP site and of course they don't sell the battery anymore and my warranty just expired. On the site it said if the power icon is flickering, then reinstall windows. I just reinstalled windows about 2 months ago, and I can't remember if I had this problem before.

I was going to post another topic about this, but then I saw your thread and thought it's pretty well the same problem.

5. oceanic7777

oceanic7777

Hearsay: HP laptops have a history of this power problems. My suspicion is that the connection on the motherboard or powersupply is coming loose or breaking.

I have sent my laptop in twice for this problem -- under my best buy extended service agreement. A third time, it was the adapter.

NOW, the FOURTH TIME, my computer is dead, and I have no extended service agreement. I am shopping for a desktop machine.

Historically, I have had to baby the power cord to get the LED to come on. Using it portably didn't work, because on my lap, the power cord was not stable.

6. ruete1bj

ruete1bj

I have probably the same problem as you all. After years of unplugging and replugging my Presario 2209CL the computer just stopped receiving power. The LED was not light ing up and the icon in the task bar shows the computer running on battery. Unlike some other users, the angle of the chord or the position of the computer did not seem to matter. At first I thought it was a power surge but when I had a technician look at it, he said that the power jack had simply come loose after years of use(and admittedly a-little abuse.) Surprisingly the cost of replacing and re-soldiering the jack and surrounding parts was quite high. I was looking at around $150.00 for parts and labor. I checked with a secondary resource and got a similar quote. I opted not to have it fixed and went with a desktop. Later on I got to thinking, though, that perhaps it's possible I could still fix the problem myself. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to go about doing this( and frankly, whether it's too much trouble to bother). Perhaps, also, some of you may have solved your own problem in a similar way by now. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466746