1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 2500 WLAN On/Off Button

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Compaq_Babe, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compaq_Babe

Compaq_Babe Thread Starter

Upgraded my Presario 2568 to WinXP, everything works, except the on/off button for the integrated wireless lan (front right side near blue LED and IR). This worked before the upgrade from XPhome. There is a heading under Start Menu called Utilities:

Start Menu>Utilities>Wireless Configuration

There is a dialogue box that opens, and says "The following devices are controlled by the wireless on/off button. Click an icon below to turn one device on or off."

There is nothing in this list. Anyone know how to get the HP WLan 54g device listed in there?

:confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you gone to the HP website and download all the updated XP Device Drivers? You may also want to check the FAQ on that site to see if its a known issue.

One last thing, Go into Control Panel -> System -> device manager and see if there's any missing drivers or errors.

3. Compaq_Babe

Compaq_Babe Thread Starter

Ok, I figured it out myself. Compaq Tech Support could not help, all they had to offer was a ROM update, or ship it to them for diagnostics. No thank you!!!

I went thru all the software config settings, nothing found. Found an applet called Software Setup, one of the available options was Notebook Utilities, which I uniquely reinstalled.

After a reboot, the HP 54g WLAN icon was now again present in the wireless configuration dialogue box, and the on/off button now works again, woohoo!!!

P.S. Did find a nifty Wireless Utility on HP's site that didn't come with the laptop. It includes some cool meters, taskbar icon, and diagnostics.

Broadcom HP 54g Wireless User Interface for XP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...p?locBasepartNum=hb-14629-1&lang=English+(US)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice