1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 3000 wont boot after bios update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by knmchavis, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knmchavis

knmchavis Thread Starter

I just reformatted a friends Compaq Presario 3000 laptop with win xp pro. Everything was working fine on it until I updated the bios. Now the computer starts to come on and then shuts down after about a second. I have tried draining all the power but get the same result. All ideas welcome. Thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact model number of that 3000 series laptop? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product/part number on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unless the BIOS needs to be updated in order to fix a problem or add some needed enhancement, never ever update the BIOS just to have the most updated version. If a BIOS update goes bad, you can be left with an expensive doorstop.

Let's see if someone jumps in and has a simple resolution to your problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. knmchavis

knmchavis Thread Starter

Compaqs website autoscan says it is model 3005us. It only reads presario 3000 on the
    computer. The part number on the mb is 310646-001. I fear that if I cant reset the bios the
    mb will have to be replaced. Thanks for your help.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the Compaq Presario 3005US laptop.

This is the F.37 BIOS update. Is this the one you installed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5. knmchavis

knmchavis Thread Starter

Thanks for the site info, this is where I was at to download the rompaq. I installed the f-37 and thats what caused my system to crash. I was having trouble with the fast typing bug on this laptop, thats the only reason I tried to update.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Start the laptop and then keep tapping the F8 key without interruption until the menu options screen appears, then select "Safe Mode With Networking".

If that works and you're able to load to the desktop and get an active connection, download and save the F.37 BIOS update.

Close all open windows first, then try to install it again. It's possible the first install went bad.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

7. knmchavis

knmchavis Thread Starter

I tried to boot pressing f8 but nothing happens. The lights come on and flash and the fan starts then imediately shuts down. The whole process takes like 2 seconds. Thanks for your help.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sorry it didn't work. Figured it was worth a try. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!