1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq presario 5000 power button problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by habeansha, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

i have a compaq presario 5000 w/ pentium 4 1500 mhz 512 mb ram, with windows xp
    i recently tried to start it up and i pushed the power button but it wont start at all. i am sure it is plugged in and it is getting power since there are two little green lights in it. whenever i push the power button another little green light goes on but the computer doesnt start. i checked all of the connections and they all seem to be in good. Can anyone help me solve why it wont start?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It really could be any on several hundred issues, but its unlikely to be "the power button".

Its likely to be a hardware failure issue, and unless you have "spare items" such as power supplies etc on hand to try replacements, its really a job for the service people?

3. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

i have an extra computer that is pretty old but it works. it has a power supply so should i try that one with it but if it doesnt work than what should i do?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If its "pretty old" its likely to be of a different type (AT vs ATX) so thats not always possible. Also the Presario may have a "custom sized" power supply that is not physically interchangeable in size (HP/Compaq are often but not always like that)

My main concern is that unless you have an electronics background and understanding, a minor problem could easily be made into a major one at this stage, no disrespect intended.

5. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

what could have caused this problem though?

6. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Are those little green lights on the motherboard? Does the system POST at all. We need more information.

7. hartbeatmr

hartbeatmr

Hi habeansha
    The best way to find out if a PSU is bad. Go to compusa or bestbuy and spend 15-20$ on a PSU tester. Unplug the 20 pin connector plug in the tester and if any lights are out then the PSU is bad. It is that simple.
    hartbeatmr

8. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

well i fixed but i dont really know what i did. i just kind of unplugged and plugged everything back in and was about to give up but then i plugged it in and it worked
    so thanks anyway

9. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

i guess it wasn't a permanent fix so now every time i turn on my computer it doesnt start. I then have to wiggle around all of the wires and then it starts working. I am kind of getting tired of this so does anyone have a solution?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice