1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 5340: HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Draws4, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Draws4

Draws4 Thread Starter

My friend has a Compaq Presario 5340, which I might say is being a real pain! She dropped it off to me yesterday to try to fix.
    Here is my problem(s): The computer starts up fine until it gets to the Windows98 screen then it hangs. She had stated it was running slow then this problem has surfaced. I have been in the MSconfig and did a selective startup bypassing the Autoexec and config files, as stated by troubleshooters in Win98. I also have used the quick restore cd's that she has and the same thing still happens, it hangs on Win98 screen.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or more troubleshooting to do before I boot it out the door? Also have thought about formatting the hard drive to wipe everything out, but I have heard it is difficult to reload programs on Compaq's. I don't have any idea if she has added any new software or hardware to this computer.
    Please Help!!!!

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Check the CPU settings in the bios and make sure that the CPU is not running overclocked.
    If this is one of those 599lmr motherboard Compaqs, it'll do just what your saying if the CPU is set wrong.

3. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

could it be a virus?

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/128896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice