1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 5724

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LDaveM, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

I have an Compaq Presario 5724 that I FDisked and reloaded Win98 SE on. There are some components that are not working and I need drivers for. I have been to the Compaq site, but they have 2 or 3 different drivers for all the interfaces.
    How can I find out which video, sound, modem are in the thing? Or, do I have to download all of the listed drivers and try them one at a time?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp

You listed your model number but you also need the series number as well. It should be on the side of the tower. If you have this info, the above web site will take you to all drivers and updates for your computer.

3. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

At the bottom of the above web site, there is a button that will automatically detect your system. Did you try that?

4. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

I have been on the site, downloaded drivers for the modem, both types, still the modem will not take any of the drivers. Did both for the NIC, same result.
    Thanks,
    Dave

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Compaq's use a proprietary BIOS/CMOS methodology that involves a "hidden" diagnostic partition. If you blew that off when you fdisk'ed your hard-disk you are going to have problems.

6. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

Well, I blew it off. Now what do I need to do?
    Thanks,
    Dave

7. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

First, I want you to take THIS LINK and read about the situation. Please read this carefully (maybe several times). You will have a far better chance of success going forward if you understand what is going on a little better. Do this bit of homework then we'll tackle the problem.

8. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

Ok, I have read the ink. You need to know that I have no recovery disk or CD.
    Thanks,\
    Dave

9. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

First you need to make absolutely sure you have deleted the diag partition. Do two things and note the results...
    1) Boot the computer and try to go into setup (hit the F10 key when you see the solid-white (or gray) square in the upper right corner of the screen. Did that work ?
    2) Rerun Fdisk and check to see if there are ANY partitions at all. What does Fdisk say about the space on your hard-drive ?

10. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

OK, I can enter the BIOS screen.
    As for FDISK, there is one partition only, the whole Hard drive.
    Dave

11. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

OKAY!! Just found a CD-ROM for the Compaq Presario from the system's owner. Will that be of any help? I hope so.
    dave

12. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

Check and see if the CD has an owner's manual in PDF form or something. If there is, you might find in it what make of video, audio and such is installed on board. Check whatever documentation you can get for info!

Also, if the hardware is plug and playable, they might be recorded in the Device Manager. It's worth taking a peak because you may see little yellow question marks marking any in-operable devices but the names of them could still be there to help you out.

13. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Well, you need to find out what is on the CD. If it is a system restore it should be able to restore the system to exactly the way it was when it left the store (including restoring the diag partition). If it is some other kind of CD it may not be of value. What's written on the CD ?

14. LDaveM

LDaveM Thread Starter

Okay, heres what I have this morning. After loading Win98 from the Compaq CD the system boots up to a scteen and hangs there, with the cursor in the center with the "hour glass". I let it run there for 2 hours. Will not go any farther. The system will boot in safe mode, shows only the "NIC" and a USB mouse as "?".
    This is what the system was doing when I got it from a friend who said to reload windows on it for him.
    Also, there is no diag partition on the hard drive.
    Thanks to all!!
    Dave

15. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice