1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

compaq presario 6000 boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a machine here that was working fine up till 2 days ago. And now it won't boot up. There is no POST, the monitors LED cycyles (indicating it is connected to the tower and in power save mode), and no beep codes. The LED's on the front of the tower are lit (both power and HD) and the power supply fan runs but that is it. The HD does not spin nor does the CD drives eject buttion fuction (indicating no power). The whole unit acts as though it is in sleep mode.

I am gussing the power supply failed, anyone else have any experence to the contrary or have other ideas?

Oh I also tried wiping the CMOS but to no avail. Any help with this is appreaced.

-Gameman

2. Sponsor

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Power supply my first guess too, and unfortunately, I think you have to get one from Compaq.

4. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes I figgured I have to get one from compaq. But on a good note it is still under waranty and the compaq replacment number is right on the side so getting another one (hopfully) won't be a problem.

-Gameman

5. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Well I got a exact replacement supply from compaq (used a compaq part number that was on the old supply, installed it today but same problem). Very odd that the HD does not power up, nor does any of the other drives. Any other suggestions? I would wonder about the motherboard, but the drives still don't power up.

-Gameman

6. ~Candy~

Try unplugging the drives to see if you can't get something out of it.

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes I already tried that. Still nothing. The funny thing is that if I unplug any of the drives the red HD light goes out (like the CD or CDRW). I have to have all drives pluged in before both the power and HD lights come on. Normally though the red HD lights only comes on when the drive is running (flickering during access).

This one really has me stumped. And yes I tired unplugging the data connection from the board as well as the power trying to get something to run. Very werid.

-Gameman

8. ~Candy~

Check the ram and cpu to be sure they are secure.

You're probably looking at a motherboard or cpu problem at this point.

9. pronute

pronute

Try disconnecting all external peripherals; all USB, mouse, keyboard, speakers, the only thing connected should be the monitor, and if this don't work disconnect that as well you can tell by sound if the computer is making it to POST or not, then reconnect each peripheral one at a time until the computer does not POST and that is what needs to be replaced. If you don’t find the culprit ether internal or external using this elimination method then the motherboard or processor is toast. However this computer is under warranty the easiest way is to let Compaq do it for you.

10. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes I already started doing this. And I think the processor or motherboard is toast. My bet is that the supply went and took the MB/processor with it. One interesting thing is that I did finally get the HD to power up, but only when it was disconnected from the MB. Werid as I never saw that before. Usually a drive will power up weather the MB is connected or not, but definitly points to toasted MB or processor.

Ran into another wrinkle tho. I do have another processor here that I can test with. BUT I can't seem to get the heatsink off of the processor. Any idea how to get this off? I did some digging and it appears to be a Microstar MS-6553 motherboard. The heat sink is scrwed on the top of the heatsink. But it is clamped on the bottom around the ZIF socket and I don't see a release anywhere. Usually there is a relese on the side or top that unlocks the whole unit, but so far no go. Any thoughs is apprecated.

-Gameman

11. ~Candy~

Just thought I'd bump this back to the top.

12. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

I just realized I never posted that I finally got this one fixed. I ended up replacing the mother board as well. Evidently when the powersupply went it took the motherboard with it. Upon looking at the forums on the Compaq site, apprently this has happened before. At least the processor was ok.

Also as a side note (to all those that own compaqs with this type of board), if you replace the power supply and still nothing happens try unplugging the data connection on the HD. This is how I found out that first the power supply was bad (nothing ran at all even when data connection unplugged), then upon replacing the powersupply still nothing happened untill I unplugged the data connection to the HD, then the HD would power up at least. This then pointed to the motherboard.

As I said before, no beep code or any sort of indicator as to what failed. Very poor design in my book.

-Gameman

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166132