1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 6150b wont boot - no BIOS screen - powers on and off repeatedly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squeezin, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

NOTE: THIS IS A COPY OF MY POST ON THE COMPAQ FORUM...getting desperate.

Hi, i bought a 6150b from a company auction. Everything worked perfect for the longest time. Then last week i went to go turn it on, and all it does is run the CPU fan for a couple seconds, flash the AC LED about 7 - 8 times, and while thats flashing the power and hard drive LED’s stay solidly lit. Then it completely turns off. This all lasts about 3 seconds at the most. That’s what happens when on battery power.

When on AC power, the same thing happens, except it continues doing the cycle over and over again until I unplug it.

I think it might have something to do with the LCD monitor, since it does not even show a slight flicker at all. No color change like it would from when turned off to a black back lit screen when turning on….simply nothing.

I opened her up (no warranty anyways) and checked all the connections for the keyboard, monitor, DVD drive etc....also reseated them as well, with no luck.

Pulled the both RAM modules and reseated them as well, nothing.

Pulled the battery as well, no change. Still cycles the same over and over again while on AC

There are no audible errors codes (real nice HP...), and im lost at this point.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. ;)

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I think instead of just pulling and replacing the CMOS battery you might purchase a new one and install it. Proceed from there. If you get a screen and it's still has a problem try a new PSU. Jazz

3. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

I guess it cant hurt to try a different battery.
    Ill pull one from my PC and try it out.

With the PSU, would it cause an on and off cycle like mine?
    Never really dealt with laptops PSU before...
    Only used to PC PSU's, and when they go, they go..atleast in my cases.
    And they stink horribly :)

Give the battery a try in a few

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787513