1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario 700 and battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexs, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexs

alexs Thread Starter

i have a question...a while ago my Presario battery died -- it wouldn't charge or discharge, the laptop could only work on the AC, but the indicator showed the correct % of the charge... I bought a new battery and it worked fine for a week, but I decided to reinstall Windows XP, and from then on, it's been a rollercoaster ride for me :((( First, it worked fine, but the laptop started to freeze every 20 minutes. I followed the COmpaq's people advice and updated BIOS for some battery controller thing and updated the video driver. From then on, the problems with my new battery just started to overwhelm me :( First, the battery wouldn't charge when the laptop was ON. Then somehow it did charge. I decided to calibrate it, and now it doesnt want to charge -- on or off. The red light indicating the battery is flashing -- as it's not charging, and the indicator says "0" % of course.
    Does anyone have any ideas?? Please? This only started after I reinstalled the Windows, so I am sure it's not hardware or the battery, everything worked just fine :(((
    Please help me!!!! Thanks... I'm desperate....

2. Sponsor

3. winbob

winbob

How old is this laptop?

Was the dead battery the original?

It is possible that there is something wrong with the charging circuit and you are killing your batteries?

Did they seem to get overly HOT?

If you can exchange the battery do so. If the new one works in your unit, then stop using it and get the laptop repaired before you cook another one! :eek:

4. alexs

alexs Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
    My laptop is 2+ yrs old...
    The first battery that died back in Dec was the original -- now, having read all the stuff on the net, I am surprised the battery lived that long, although I used the AC most of the time....
    You might be right, it's not the battery for sure. I mean it was working nicely until...it stopped working :) So I guess it's the laptop and its charging circuit... Does anyone know how much it would cost me to have it fixed? It sucks to put another 300-400 bucks (the new battery was $140 already) into this laptop when I can get a new one for around 1k.......
    Thanks...
    :confused:

5. winbob

winbob

Chances are that 'fixing' it means replacing the MOBO. If you send it in to Compaq it will be that much easily. The only upside is that if it is something else, maybe it will cost less.....nah. Murphy's Law applies here. :rolleyes:

6. alexs

alexs Thread Starter

Yeah... i don't think i have the warranty anymore... But i guess i will have to do this, if i want the battery to work again :( Thanks for your help...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322176