1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq presario 9546 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SecretAgentBob, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SecretAgentBob

SecretAgentBob Thread Starter

Hello - I am attempting to get an old Compaq Presario 9546 that I obtained work correctly. I am, however, at a loss to figure out what the heck is wrong. When you boot the computer, it does the RAM check, and appears to skip past all BIOS functions (I can't go into BIOS setup... it does not exist) and then all it says is "Non system disk, please replace and press any key" - which, BTW, I have no disk in at all. When I DO put in a system floppy, it will boot from the floppy but not aqnowledge that anything else but the floppy is hooked up to the computer (I have 2 hard drives and a CD rom drive - all with the correct jumper settings). Any ideas? If I could just get BIOS to come up, I could probably fix it myself...

2. brianF

brianF

watch for the cursor in the right hand top corner of the screen, then press f10

also found this

Reboot the machine. When the company name, Compaq, displays in big red letters on the Presario's screen, a cursor should appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Press F10, and instead of booting normally, you should see the setup screen for the Compaq's BIOS.

Someone, in response to seeing this page, told me that some Compaq machines have F12 as a BIOS setup key. If F10 brings you no joy, it's worth a try.

3. rhettman5

rhettman5

tap f10 when the fashiing light blinks on the top right of your monitor after reboot...Rhett

4. SecretAgentBob

My problem goes further. No compaq logo shows up. In fact NOTHING but the memory test works.

5. brianF

brianF

Has the harddrive been formatted ???? compaq stores their bios utility on the hard drive

6. SecretAgentBob

It can not read the hard drive - nor the CD rom drive. It won't read anything!

7. brianF

brianF

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice