1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario Boot problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plexiglass, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plexiglass

plexiglass Thread Starter

Hi,
    My Compaq Presario 2100 boot up to this:
    PreBoot Execution Evnironment
    PXE_E61 Media Test Failure. Check cable.
    Then tries to reboot again.

Then I use the QuickRecover CDs that comes with my laptop. I get this:
    Exception 0E ErrorCode=0004
    CauseWay Error 09 Unrecoverable exception.
    The CD eject.

Then I try to boot from the MS OS CD.
    I managed to get into the recover mode and get a c:\
    I tried chkdsk, fdsk, but got invalid drive.

Looks like my harddrive is gone.
    Questions:
    I want to get a bigger drive 40GB from the same manufacturer(Toshiba), will it be compatible with the BIOS, etc?
    I tried to manually pull out the harddrive from under the front of the keyboard. But I don;t want to break anything in so doing. Any ideas?

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

2. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

As I ahve been working with computers my whole life you must be one person that might not know a lot. I am not calling you a liar or anything but I do not believe that your hard drive is under the keyboard as HP owns compaq and I ahve not seen an HP note book that has a Hard Drive under the Key Board. I believe your hard drive is under tha lab top or at the front. Mind it being you will have to take some screws out and go hunting.

On anoter note if your Hard Drive was fried yur lap top would not even reconize it. There for Ibeleieve it is a windows installaion problem I think yiou said you are using Win XP. If you are do a full format of your Note Book and try to reload the boot disks. If the boot disks dont work the just load windws as your boot disks might have a problem or are corrupted with scratches mis use etc.

Need any more help IM me.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

His description of under the keyboard is not wrong, it is just different in that he doesn't mean he has to remove the keyboard to get at it.
    Strange, the impression I got from what he describes is that the hard disk has either become unplugged or is faulty.
    Yes you should be able to replace it with ANY make of 2.5in Laptop drive. See if you can get the manual to help you remove the drive (there is usually a retaining screw to remove first.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284410