1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario boot up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jacobmason420, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacobmason420

jacobmason420 Thread Starter

I am using a previously owned Presario SR1901WM and was having boot up problems. The computer would turn on go to the Compaq splash screen with function options then proceed to a black screen with a blinking cursor. After that it would just go completely black then pop up to the Compaq screen and repeat this cycle. So I arnt looking for some online help and the HP site told me to unplug my "IDE" cables. And being the complete techtard I am, I unpluged the power cables as well. Now I have plugged them back in, put the panel back on, and when I push the power button nothing happens. I think I really f*ed somthing up. PLEASE HELP!!
    -TIA,
    Jacob

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

The IDE cables won't stop the PC from getting power..so forget them for now.....when you say you unplugged the power cables do you mean from the Motherboard?

3. jacobmason420

Megabite,
    Yes from the motherboard. Or atleast from what I know. Lol

4. Megabite

Megabite

Does your Motherboard have a white connector like this one with red arrow

Attached Files:

5. jacobmason420

Yes it does, and that should be located to the right of the fan unit, right?

6. Megabite

Megabite

Sometimes but configuration differs..that is your power connector..is that where you unplug from....and was it one plug or two thing you unplugged from there

7. jacobmason420

I never unplugged anything from that port but there is only one plug coming from that adapter.

8. jacobmason420

I unplugged the power cords from what looks like the disk drove and what I'm guessing is the hard drive( placed under the diskdrive if the tower was in verticle position)

9. Megabite

Megabite

Understood..

and now the PC does not start at all...dead

10. jacobmason420

Yezzir. Lol

11. Megabite

Megabite

Power to your Hard drives ...won't stop it from starting......unplug the cables that you unplugged before and then try starting...you also may have knocked something so just check the other cables are seat correctly.

12. jacobmason420

Ok I I figured out that I just bumped that port you showed in the visual and now I have power, but I'm still having my boot problems :p thanks for your help though.

13. Megabite

Megabite

Try seeing if you can get into safemode

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

14. jacobmason420

Ok I selected your safe mode and the following choices came up: Windows xp home edition, and Windows recovery console.
    Which one should I chose?

15. Megabite

Megabite

Try Windows xp home edition

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice