1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Compaq Presario CQ60 black screen no BIOS boot after HDD test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rebeltaz, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

I was working on a customer's laptop, a Compaq CQ60, that refused to boot into windows and System Recovery disabled all recovery options except for Command Prompt.

On a hunch, after pressing Escape during BIOS boot, I selected HDD Test. The test ran and failed with "Replace Hard Drive." OK.. the laptop sat there for a few minutes and never did anything else, so I tried to get out of that screen. Nothing responded, so I just held the Power button to turn the computer off.

When I pressed Power again to turn the computer back on, the Power and Wireless LEDs comes on, the CD drive is accessed and then the HDD LED lights up for a second and goes out. The screen never comes up nor do the backlights.

I have tried hooking up an external monitor, but that never shows anything either.

I have tried taking the memory out, cleaning the contacts, putting them back in, swapping the modules around, booting with one or the other.... No effect.

I pulled the battery and the CMOS battery, unplugged AC and let it sit for a good half hour. I held the Power button for thirty seconds. Plugged the CMOS battery back in then the AC. Turned it on and still no go.

I cannot figure out WHAT could have happened!? Any other ideas? Thanks...

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

See if you get a display with the hard drive removed.

4. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I did try to boot without the hard drive with the same (non)results.

5. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

Ok, point a flashlight at the screen and look for a dim display.

6. Simba7

Simba7

LOL.. It sounds weird, but it does work. It reflects off the back part of the panel, so aim the flashlight at an angle.

7. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

lol... not weird at all. I'm a TV technician, so I am well aware of backlight issues. Nope. The problem isn't just a lack of backlight :(

8. dai

dai

try a cmos reset

9. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

Well, I pulled the CMOS battery for half an hour...

10. dai

dai

sorry meant to say try a new cmos battery

also try it with the cd/dvd drive removed

11. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

I tried removing the CD drive...still nope :(

12. dai

dai

check the contacts between the h/drive and the mothboard

13. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

Seem OK, but shouldn't this boot to BIOS whether the hd is installed or not?

14. Simba7

Simba7

True.. True.

I hope it's not a motherboard issue, but it sure is sounding like it.

15. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

You and me both, brother :) I don't think this is going to be a happy customer. They never can understand: "Well, it was working when I brought it to you!" ... Yeah, then why did you bring it to me?

I don't understand, though, why this happened when I ran the built-in BIOS HD Test feature....

16. Simba7

Simba7

What is the model number of the motherboard? I'm finding them for rather cheap on eBay, but I'm suspecting there are Intel and AMD versions.

Also, what is the exact model number of the laptop?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091095